Pi 3 Gear (WIP)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
RarinImp

Re: Pi 3 Gear (WIP)

Post by RarinImp » Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 am

ICMF wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 9:31 pm
Nice progress. And happy 25th birthday to your Game Gear shell. :D
Thanks IMCF. I didn't realize that the Game Gear is 25 now... Man, do I feel old now! :mrgreen: I was starting high school when they came out. I wanted one so bad, too.

So, it looks like everything has shipped out. ETA on the last part (the screen) is the end of the month. So it looks like I have plenty of time to finish body work. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with tact bumpers, or if I should try to modify triggers from the 360 controller I've cannibalized. I like the idea of the triggers, but it may be tricky figuring out how to mount them in a way that they don't interfere with the components that are more mandatory.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue May 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Cool project, i'll be watching for updates!

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm

RarinImp wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 8:30 pm
D-pad widened slightly
SpoilerShow
image.jpg
The little rings of numbers are production dates from the factory. So that particular case was injected in '92 (top ring), in either April or May (can't quite make it out... looks like it's pointing to the 4 though), or almost exactly 25 years ago. :)

And yes, I remember desperately wanting a Game Gear. It was colour. It had a TV tuner, so I could have my very own TV, and be able to watch it anywhere. How amazing was THAT! Seems kind of laughably archaic now, doesn't it? :lol:

BTW, hope you'll design your Pi Gear to give you random shocks, the way the Game Gear used to, for that real retro gaming experience. :lol:

RarinImp

Post by RarinImp » Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 pm

ICMF wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:57 pm
The little rings of numbers are production dates from the factory. So that particular case was injected in '92 (top ring), in either April or May (can't quite make it out... looks like it's pointing to the 4 though), or almost exactly 25 years ago. :)

And yes, I remember desperately wanting a Game Gear. It was colour. It had a TV tuner, so I could have my very own TV, and be able to watch it anywhere. How amazing was THAT! Seems kind of laughably archaic now, doesn't it? :lol:

BTW, hope you'll design your Pi Gear to give you random shocks, the way the Game Gear used to, for that real retro gaming experience. :lol:
Thanks for the info on finding the production date, I never even thought of looking. Aside from the shocks, and horrid battery life , they were awesome in their day. I suppose I could try wiring in a handshake buzzer somewhere! :D

I believe that I have a solution for adding Xbox triggers. Sadly that means more stuff to order.

I'll use the trigger assembly from the old controller. Hopefully I'm right that the eagle files on sparkfun can be sent to OSHPark for the breakout board. And some replacement potentiometers from eBay.

Trigger breakout board
Potentiometers

Edit: Ordered breakout board for analog stick.

RarinImp

Post by RarinImp » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am

Decided it's easier, and way less stuff to order using the bumpers off the Xbox controller rather than trying to use triggers. 2 tact switches I already have vs having a breakout board just makes it easier. I mocked up the bumpers for case prep. Measurements may be slightly off, but that's why I did the mock up.

Sadly, work just called, and my truck will be out of the shop Friday, so I'll be back on the road and unable to do much more for about 2 weeks. I was hoping to have most of the case modding done by now. But, the majority of my parts should be in when I get back home. Then I can start fitting the screen, battery, and pcb's.
Mock up of bumpersShow
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 8359 times

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:41 am

Te screen should be killer!

Psy128

Post by Psy128 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Looks a good project

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 am

Sticking to the post, it's an interesting project :)

Good luck !
Follow me on instagram Image

KRSullivan

Post by KRSullivan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Any new updates?

vnman

Post by vnman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 am

Interesting link here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPLJOU6D7js

contemplating building one myself....