Daftmikes NESPi

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
WoodMill

Daftmikes NESPi

Post by WoodMill » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Anyone build Daft Mikes NESPi? http://www.daftmike.com/

Back when he posted it, I actually purchased his kit. But now he's MIA. Request my money back from Paypal. But I still really really want to build this system.

I found the Gameboy Zero project after that one, and have now built two GBZ's, and feel pretty comfortable with figuring some things out, and thought I'd give it a shot to try and to the DIY version of the NESPi.

Curious if anyone else has built one? Also saw that someone started a Facebook group because of Mike's absence. https://www.facebook.com/groups/miniNESbuilders/ Was hoping to find a community of people like we have here to help with the progress and mods for the NESPi.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

abrugsch

Re: Daftmikes NESPi

Post by abrugsch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 am

It's pretty sad he's gone mia. I've followed his project since day one and it was a lovely build. Sometimes things just get too much and if you get setback upon setback then it can happen. At least he's released his 3d files. The rest isn't too hard to figure out, did he release a full BOM? the pcb's can be replicated with a little work.
Maybe I'll do that Lol!
The daftmike rescue package ;)

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:07 am

abrugsch wrote:It's pretty sad he's gone mia. I've followed his project since day one and it was a lovely build. Sometimes things just get too much and if you get setback upon setback then it can happen. At least he's released his 3d files. The rest isn't too hard to figure out, did he release a full BOM? the pcb's can be replicated with a little work.
Maybe I'll do that Lol!
The daftmike rescue package ;)
Really surprised that this GBZ community has done so much work to make things easier. Which is awesome! But Daft Mike's NES has pretty much seemed exclusive to him. I would have thought with so many people helping out with the GBZ, and the current popularity of the NES Classic Edition being impossible to find, that there'd be a whole new group working to build the best TV console version. I'd love to be able to have a "Switch" type of retro-console. Where my game saves automatically transfer from TV retro-console to GBZ. :)

Looks like the guy who started the Facebook group has started to try to build some custom pcb's based off of Daft Mike's design. Looks like he's working on getting one set to work with the Arduino.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:12 am

He blew up faster than he thought it was going to for building one. He has posted the STL files so you could print the stuff yourself.
Builder and tinkerer

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 am

Chedda wrote:He blew up faster than he thought it was going to for building one. He has posted the STL files so you could print the stuff yourself.
Yeah. Had the case ready for a while now. And really, the things his kit does above the standard RPi, I won't really use. I've already had my RPi plugged into a Belkin Wemo wall plug. So I've been able to turn off power once the Pi shuts down, and then power it back on with Alexa voice prompt.

Was just looking forward to making the package complete. The NFC cartridge reader would be a cool thing to have for total nostalgia.

At a minimum, I'd like to figure out how to get the power button to do a graceful shutdown, as I gave my brother-in-law a retro console last year for Christmas. But I don't think he plays it much because of the whole powering off and unplugging/plugging in to turn it back on. I know I could just use the reset switch to turn it back on, but would be more user friendly to allow the power button to be pushed to shutdown.

Jace055

Post by Jace055 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:05 pm

I saw his build on YouTube when he first posted. when I got ready to pull the trigger, he had closed the preorder and I went looking for something else. That's when I found sudomod.

It's a shame he is MIA. He had a great vision and a cool product. I think what makes this community more stable is the end result is not dependent upon one person. There are dozens of ways to finish a build with just as many suppliers.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:01 am

WoodMill wrote: At a minimum, I'd like to figure out how to get the power button to do a graceful shutdown, as I gave my brother-in-law a retro console last year for Christmas. But I don't think he plays it much because of the whole powering off and unplugging/plugging in to turn it back on. I know I could just use the reset switch to turn it back on, but would be more user friendly to allow the power button to be pushed to shutdown.
It's exactly the same as a gbz graceful shutdown and there's someone in that group that's done a circuit too. You only "need" the arduino if you want nfc. Everything else can be done with passives