Pi Zero case.

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
ICMF

Pi Zero case.

Post by ICMF » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm

The official Pi Zero case is nice enough, I guess, but I felt it deserved something cooler.

I know it's popular to make NES-shaped cases for the Pi3, but the Zero is much narrower, so wouldn't fit as well. Plus, I never had a NES, so it does little for my nostalgia.

My earliest retro-gaming memories come from the Commodore 64, and while the Pi Zero isn't very console-shaped it turns out it IS pretty keyboard-shaped. Which is handy, since the C64 *was* the keyboard. :)

MicroSD slots in the side (in place of the DIN ports). HDMI and USB are accessible at the back (in place of the cartridge slots). Just need to figure out how to make the power light functional - maybe a light pipe over the Pi's LED? :D
Last edited by ICMF on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoolyHoo

Re: Pi Zero case.

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

ICMF wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm
The official Pi Zero case is nice enough, I guess, but I felt it deserved something cooler.

I know it's popular to make NES-shaped cases for the Pi3, but the Zero is much narrower, so wouldn't fit as well. Plus, I never had a NES, so it does little for my nostalgia.

My earliest retro-gaming memories come from the Commodore 64, and while the Pi Zero isn't very console-shaped it turns out it IS pretty keyboard-shaped. Which is handy, since the C64 *was* the keyboard. :)

MicroSD slots in the side (in place of the DIN ports). HDMI and USB are accessible at the back (in place of the cartridge slots). Just need to figure out how to make the power light functional - maybe a light pipe over the Pi's LED? :D
I love it. :D
Spent countless hours playing Lode Runner and Boulder Dash.
How are you planning on making it? I believe you can forward the activity light to any GPIO. Maybe you can use that for the power light or just run a plain red led from a GPIO and you that for a power light. :D

ICMF

Re: Pi Zero case.

Post by ICMF » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:44 pm

I've got a connection with an Envisiontec printer that I might go with. Otherwise it'll probably be a Form2 at max resolution. Plus some custom decals for the markings.

I don't think a functional light is really practical (it's just a case, so I don't really want to modify the board), though it would be pretty awesome. I guess a light pipe or some fiber optic might work. It's only 1mm diameter though, so it would be *really* tiny.