3DPi

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
thirdbasscode

3DPi

Post by thirdbasscode » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I recently found the videos for the Game Boy Zero and MintyPi (HOW DID I MISS THIS!) and wanted to maybe do a build myself.
I was wondering: I have an old original 3DS that still works. Do you think with removing the bottom screen and covering that up I could build a RetroPi station in the casing? It will already have the riggers, X and Y button, and even an extra home button and possible thumbstick

MrDralixx

Re: 3DPi

Post by MrDralixx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 am

Not sure on that right off the bat, but from what I've read so far on this site, setting up a thumb/joy pad to the pi zero isn't very easy and clearance may be an issue for you even if you remove the lower screen. The only instance I can find on it so far, was on this site. lol The same project shows up on retropie.uk as well, but the posts dry up in late February of this year in both places.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2131

Have you looked up the PiGrrl Zero on Adafruit's site though? Really sweet set up and not hard to do. They offer a custom gamepad pcb to use, but I don't think recreating their boards with some protoboard and tactile switches would be all that difficult.

This is the Adafruit link:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-zero/overview

But this link offers an updated version of their case to allow for a sound card, a speaker, a larger battery, and tighter screw slots for tighter pcb fit. I ended up using this version myself as I wasn't thrilled with using a usb adapter for using headphones from the original. This same person also has a new(er) version from this link which allows for a larger screen. I'm not linking as I didn't use it myself.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1621907

abrugsch

Re: 3DPi

Post by abrugsch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure an original 3DS would be too small. A better bet is a DS lite (or an OG DS phat) I know there have been successful mods in a DSL