Win 10 steam handheld

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
MoldyBaby

Win 10 steam handheld

Post by MoldyBaby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm

I've been wanting to make a GB or a custom handheld to play some steam games, no major titles that require more than 30fps to play; yet small titles that can be fun to play on the go or with wifi.

I've been looking at several SBC's to use other than Rpi3 and Rpi0w, which I think are starting to look slim compared to some SBC's that aren't being talked about much I.E : Up Board, Tinker Board, Versalogic Viper, and the LattePanda; Yes I do understand that some of these are pricey, but majority of them can handle and run win10 with it's own bios... That is a large upgrade to me. Hell, even if I can't make something that runs small steam titles, I can pentest on the go, that is also a huge damn plus lol! :lol:

Any thoughts? I'm not familiar with making boards for buttons, but am willing to research and learn, I just don't know where to start... can I use existing products made for GB0 and GBpi3 for button formatting?

DieKatzchen

Re: Win 10 steam handheld

Post by DieKatzchen » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Most button solutions are just connected directly to gpio pins. So they won't work. Anything involving a teensy should work fine though. That's sort of teensy's deal.

thereuben

Re: Win 10 steam handheld

Post by thereuben » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Have a look at the Wii U build using a Intel Compute Stick with a m5 CPU. Snappy enough to run many older or less demanding titles. Should be able to emulate GC, Wii U etc
The m3 version cost less than €300.
The Atom based boards aren't nearly as powerful, not much better than a rpi3. But definitely good enough for emulation up to N64 and very low demanding games.
Steam or Moonlight streaming might be an alternative?