Trying to make a fully wooden Ds project but with a twist

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Craftsman

Trying to make a fully wooden Ds project but with a twist

Post by Craftsman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 am

Making a wooden Ds like figure but with a twist. I know I might sound silly but I’m trying to figure out the build of the case but I don’t know what would be good for it. I would like it to be to have all the old classic games from the mintypi and etc but I also want it to run these games in really well. I also would like a battery that could last a while but it also depends on the size of the case. If anyone could name any great pieces of technology that’s high quality kind of that would be nice.

Ps: yes I’m a noob at all this stuff except for woodworking and I know I sound like a toddler running his mouth out for Christmas gifts.

Will answer questions and will keep posted on size and overall future of build.
Last edited by Craftsman on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craftsman

Re: Trying to make a fully wooden high tech Ds like projoct

Post by Craftsman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:14 am

Any tips and tricks or just anything will be good even if you guys yelling at me it’s not going to work it’s already a failed project, that’s fine aswell

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:48 am

How are you going to make the hinge? If you are going to route the cable through the hinge you'll have to make a hollow inside the hinge axis.
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

Craftsman

Post by Craftsman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 am

I know I might do the same think like those altoid cans ones but I reinforce it with some flat tubing or something else depending on what I got but for the hinges I’ll find some metal ones and cut out two to three holes on the back and try and figure stuff out so far I’m just blueprinting stuff out on rhino and I’ll adjust and tweak if anything needs a touch up

Holydohnut

Re: Trying to make a fully wooden Ds project but with a twist

Post by Holydohnut » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 am

As an amateur woodworker myself, I'll be interested to see what you come up with! Most wooden cases I've seen thus far have been quite poorly made.

A lot will depend on what screen you want to use. If you want a tft like the reversing camera screens used in the GBZ, then you need a powerboost to up any battery to 5v. That will in turn have a negative effect on battery life. If you go with an spi screen, you can power it from the 3.3v pin so only a charge board needed and batteries will last longer.

As for gaming, generally a pi zero will play pretty much anything up to and including Snes and Megadrive (Genesis), a pi3 will play some n64, Ps and dreamcast games. If you're thinking about making a portable you might want to keep it simple as a pi3 would probably need to be stripped, and Ps, n64 and dreamcast will require an analog controller and extra buttons. Also a teensy or similar to program it.

Best of luck!