Blue screen! (Not of death)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Holydohnut

Blue screen! (Not of death)

Post by Holydohnut » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am

Hey guys. I was hoping to keep my next project under wraps for a while, but unfortunately I'm having an issue with the screen I ordered, and before I go back to the guy on ebay (Which is becoming a common occurrence) I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. The screen is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-HDMI-U ... 2749.l2649

And the problem is, the colours are completely messed up! When the Raspberry appears on booting the pi, it's blue! The whole thing looks like an old CGA or EGA computer! (For those old enough to remember them!) The 4 buttons on the side which you may think are for adjustment, are just connected to external pins. The traces don't go anywhere else.

Any ideas? Or just a duff screen?

VeteranGamer

Re: Blue screen! (Not of death)

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:52 am

Holydohnut wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am
Hey guys. I was hoping to keep my next project under wraps for a while, but unfortunately I'm having an issue with the screen I ordered, and before I go back to the guy on ebay (Which is becoming a common occurrence) I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. The screen is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-HDMI-U ... 2749.l2649

And the problem is, the colours are completely messed up! When the Raspberry appears on booting the pi, it's blue! The whole thing looks like an old CGA or EGA computer! (For those old enough to remember them!) The 4 buttons on the side which you may think are for adjustment, are just connected to external pins. The traces don't go anywhere else.

Any ideas? Or just a duff screen?

these might be silly suggestions,

but have you tried another hdmi cable.....
have you checked that the hdmi ports if they look ok (anything look out of place)

Holydohnut

Re: Blue screen! (Not of death)

Post by Holydohnut » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Tried a couple of cables, a couple of pi's and even a couple of different build images, and still the same. What was slightly odd was that I tried a PS3, which I didn't expect to work give how picky they are about resolution, but the odd thing was,when I plugged in the hdmi from the PS3 only, the screen seemed to power up! With no power attached! So maybe something isn't quite right with the screen