I need help making a one handed... handheld

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Eccho

Re: I need help making a one handed... handheld

Post by Eccho » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

quirkey_conundrum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 am
extension for batteries
You could even convert that extension to a complete "hand rest" for your one-handed handeld (love the name :mrgreen: ). Not only will it be more confortable, but it would add a lot of space to integrate the Pi and the battery.
quirkey_conundrum wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 am
what parts do I need? I want to make it work like a minty pi
The MintiPi already has a fixed format (the mintbox). It would definitely be worth going for a standard GBZ build and playing around with the case modding and the controller. It will need A LOT of modifications though. Basically instead of the cross button you have a joystick to configure and A/B buttons on the side (like how you picture suggests it).

This is so interesting. Great thread.

quirkey_conundrum

Post by quirkey_conundrum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 am

I really don't know what to order or where to start any ideas?

SkybotLivendale

Post by SkybotLivendale » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm thinking you'll likely need a custom made casing... Do you have any 3D experience?
Maybe you can watch some youtube videos and try out AutoDesk's Fusion360. (It's free)

I'm somewhat interested in this myself, and could use a fun project to dusk off my 3D skillsets. So I might be able to help :)
My main problem is that I'm very limited on time.

I think my first question would be:
What all do you want to emulate on this? Because that will drive how many buttons you need.

quirkey_conundrum

Post by quirkey_conundrum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am

im thinking gameboy, gamboy advance, and maybe nes/snes

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 am

moosepr wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 am
it probably wouldnt take much to convert a wii nunchuck to usb via a teensy. They use i2c comunications (just a quick google found a premade one http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/wus ... dex_en.php)
If you're talking about using a pi, i think there's already a driver for the nunchuck direct on the i2c. no need for a middleman device ;)

there's 2 buttons (4 if you include start/select) on a GB, GBA, NES and an extra 4 on a snes.

there's 2 total on a standard nunchuck... however i'm sure there are clones with more...

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 am

another alternative is to use half of a pro controller. then you have a grip, an analog stick, 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, and depending on where you cut it, some extra buttons for start/select
one of these:
take half of it, make an enclosure to contain the screen on the other half. The analog stick can be digitized like adafruit do on some of their tutorials.
The i2c wii protocol has been reversed so you should be able to use it directly without any interface conversion... (or don't bother with the on-board controller and connect the switches/buttons directly to GPIO, bypassing the controller logic altogether...)
Last edited by abrugsch on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkybotLivendale

Post by SkybotLivendale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

quirkey_conundrum wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am
im thinking gameboy, gamboy advance, and maybe nes/snes
So maybe a max of 4 buttons+a d-pad/analog stick? My thoughts right now would be maybe, a bumper and a trigger, and then maybe 2 buttons on the grip somewhere? I'm thinking on the side, near your finger tips. That way you're not trying to use the directional inputs, and press buttons with just your thumb.

I have a pi and should have a nunchuck at home. I'll try and compare sizes to see if fitting it inside the nunchuck itself seems plausible.

SkybotLivendale

Post by SkybotLivendale » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 am

New thought:

What if you put the pi in a separate box? You could put a clip on it and just strap it to your waist.
And then you follow this guide to make it a USB controller:
http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Mou ... -Nunchuck/
Which is great, because it includes a teensy which will let you easily wire up the extra 2 buttons.

And then you essentially just route an HDMI cable through the nunchuck to an attached screen, and out a second hole (or make the existing one bigger) which both connect to the pi on your waste.

Not exactly a handheld, but requires less case modding.

EDIT: This also allows for easy battery expansions, and makes the device less weight-y in your hand.

Someone with more experience than I may even be able to mod this project to transmit the extra buttons you'd be installing:
https://learn.adafruit.com/nunchuket-ku ... k/overview. Then you'd only need the one HDMI cord.

DJJK

Post by DJJK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

If you google this you will get a lot of hits of one handed controllers for different game systems, so you would have reinvent the wheel.

http://game-accessibility.com/2015/08/0 ... stakaraad/

Check out this link.