Tackling Graceful Shutdowns on the GBZ

Various user-contributed guides for software-related things
joe7dust

Re: Tackling Graceful Shutdowns on the GBZ

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Popcorn wrote:Wait a sec! Why didn't I think of this before? I think I might have found a way to have the pololu shut off the Powerboost. I wont be able to test until after the weekend. Can someone try this and report back? You need the pololu mini slide switch.

Connect everything up like the guide but also add two wires. EN and GND on the Powerboost continue to go to a latching switch still (we still need an emergency reset) BUT, they also map to the center OFF and GND that are pinned out as part of the onboard switch in the middle of the board. Looking at the schematic, they close when off, which is what we need to shut off the Powerboost. Someone let us know if this works? Or I'll let you know by Tuesday. I'm out of town til then.

For some reason that wasn't clickable for me but the URL showed up when I tried to quote you here, then I copied the link but i get an error and nothing shows.

edit: working now ;)

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:54 pm

^ yeah, I saw that and edited to fix the image. I fixed your quoted version too ;)

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Popcorn wrote:^ yeah, I saw that and edited to fix the image. I fixed your quoted version too ;)
Huh? I didn't even realize you are a mod :o I guess that is what trailblazer means?'

OK DERP I just saw the global mod in your profile and realized you have a special color on your name. I'm not sure why I thought that just means you are a donor or something hahah.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Actually, it won't work. The through-hole pinout on Off and gnd is really just GND and GND. And they don't connect to the electronic switch anyway. Just looked again at the schematic. Damnit. My hopes were up.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:40 pm

I thought trailblazer was given for creating this critical function of the project, haha.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 pm

Ganreizu wrote:I thought trailblazer was given for creating this critical function of the project, haha.
All good. I wouldn't read through 20 pages of this either! :)

Bendra

Post by Bendra » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Here's what mine looks like:

Great idea to have a reset-button like feature covered by the regular on/off button! This brings me to another possibility. What about placing another on/off button outside the case (directly besides the regular on/off switch)? If the regular on/off switch is on, the second switch can't be turned off because the regular one is blocking it. For shutting off the device the regular button needs to be set to off. After the graceful shutdown the second switch might be set to off as well (optionally), to disconnect the power boost. This would act kind of a travel lock.

The only downside would be, that one can still cut the power hard by switching both switches to off just very quickly one after each other.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:28 am

Bendra wrote:
Here's what mine looks like:

Great idea to have a reset-button like feature covered by the regular on/off button! This brings me to another possibility. What about placing another on/off button outside the case (directly besides the regular on/off switch)? If the regular on/off switch is on, the second switch can't be turned off because the regular one is blocking it. For shutting off the device the regular button needs to be set to off. After the graceful shutdown the second switch might be set to off as well (optionally), to disconnect the power boost. This would act kind of a travel lock.

The only downside would be, that one can still cut the power hard by switching both switches to off just very quickly one after each other.
The latching reset does this already. It's directly connected to the EN pin of the Powerboost. When it latches out in high position, the batteries are disconnected. In this position, it also prevents the slide switch from sliding across, so the user knows that they must enable the batteries first by de-latching. So you don't need yet another switch to do the same thing.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:38 am

Just to be sure, [mention]Popcorn[/mention]. When you are talking about
- A mini SPDT or DPDT latching push and hold switch (for emergency resets and prolonged storage)
You mean a momentary switch, not a maintained one, right?

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:46 am

Fleder wrote:Just to be sure, [mention]Popcorn[/mention]. When you are talking about
- A mini SPDT or DPDT latching push and hold switch (for emergency resets and prolonged storage)
You mean a momentary switch, not a maintained one, right?
Don't want to speak for him but Push and Hold/Latching means like the one that I'm using.