SD card max size and opinion question

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
day

SD card max size and opinion question

Post by day » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 am

Hi all,

I can't seem to find the information online, so I wa wondering what is the max SD card size the Rpi Zero can handle ?
I saw this page http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards but not sure it covers the Rpi Zero...

also, just to wanted to gather some feedback/opinion on if you prefer to have, let's say, an sd card of 8gb with the OS/Retropie/other, and a usb key with roms of 32/64/128gb (if Rpi Zero can handle that much), OR if you prefer to directly have an sd card of 32/64/128gb ?

this last question is assuming you can change the folder of the roms to the usb key, i'm not even sure that is possible and if so if it would be safe or bad for the Pi to remove the usb key on 'hot' (or is there a way of creating a certain link to safely remove the usb key without a keyboard/mouse)

thanks for your advices !

day

Ganreizu

Re: SD card max size and opinion question

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:44 am

I don't think you can run roms off of the USB stick unfortunately.

I have an 8 gb SD card, but i'm not planning on having massive libraries of roms from all systems possible. I have all the games for all the systems i'm interested in and i probably have half the volume of the card left.

I'm sure the zero can handle upwards of 128 GB SD card, but you seriously only need 16 GB at most. ROMs are tiny things. If you were going to get an SD card for a music player though, go ahead and get 64/128 GB.

day

Post by day » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:55 am

thank for your feedback !
I was indeed planning on using it for other stuff too (maybe add a camera for pictures/video, and music player), but then you are right, roms wont take much...so maybe a 32 would be enough

AustenFM

Post by AustenFM » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:16 am

Just yesterday i was at Microcenter here in Houston picking up two extra Rpi Zeros while they were in stock and was pondering this very question, thanks for lending some clarity to the situation!

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:53 am

It is worth checking if the card you want is compatible, what i mean is i bought 2x Kingston, 2x Toshiba when i was building the card reader cartridge and wiring the wires to the cartridge reader i had loads of problems it was only once i had finished that i noticed my issues were with the Toshiba cards, not my soldering :D
The Kingston worked perfect and once i was complete i tried using the cards to install retropie but neither would fully work?
a quick google showed a few other people had problems, even trying to format differently never solved the issue?
cards below that i had problems with
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/toshi ... 301R0640EA
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

vexxecon

Post by vexxecon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Ganreizu wrote:I don't think you can run roms off of the USB stick unfortunately.

I have an 8 gb SD card, but i'm not planning on having massive libraries of roms from all systems possible. I have all the games for all the systems i'm interested in and i probably have half the volume of the card left.

I'm sure the zero can handle upwards of 128 GB SD card, but you seriously only need 16 GB at most. ROMs are tiny things. If you were going to get an SD card for a music player though, go ahead and get 64/128 GB.
This is actually incorrect. You can totally run ROMs from a USB drive, it just takes some work.

ABH

Post by ABH » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Im using 200 gb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SanDisk-Ult ... Sw6n5XunYd
Becuse i play PS1 games . it's take more space
and it's working perfect with Pi 2 .