Recommended tip for Weller EC-3000?

Discuss tool-related stuff including soldering irons/technique, multimeters, etc.
Kringler

Recommended tip for Weller EC-3000?

Post by Kringler » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 am

Hello! New user here.

I've had an old Weller EC-3000 pretty much for the past decade and I've been using the same tip, all without cleaning it. Also, it's a big chisel tip... like what I would imagine someone would do wood burning with.

What sort of tip would someone recommend to me for the project? I obviously need a new one, but all that I've ever used is that chisel tip, so what should I do? It isn't so hard to find tips on ebay and the such, but the style of tip isn't typically the title of the listing.

Should I just be looking for the finest tip I can get?

Lagunanorthwest on ebay has a few examples of tips that would appear to work with my iron. Any input?

Also, as an aside, I've read that if I wanted to get some new solder I should get 60/40 rosin .050 in solder? Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for? I'm not so hot at soldering, so is there a solder I can purchase that might make things easier? I don't mind things being more time consuming or tedious, as long as I end up with fewer f***-ups.

Thanks!

Chedda

Re: Recommended tip for Weller EC-3000?

Post by Chedda » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:00 pm

That old fella should work just fine. If the tip needs some love to be smaller, just file it down a bit to your liking.
Builder and tinkerer

Zero

Re: Recommended tip for Weller EC-3000?

Post by Zero » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Lead based solder is certainly the way to go, with a flux core, it flows nicely. I prefer the thinner stuff as it means you can use it for smaller parts, but it's always handy to have some thicker solder too for power connections, etc.

If your soldering iron can take replaceable tips then you can just buy some thick copper wire/rods from a hardware store. That way you can cut lengths from it and file it down to make whatever shape tip you want. Just don't forget to tin it properly on first use.