[LF] DMG1 case 3D print files

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
solder

[LF] DMG1 case 3D print files

Post by solder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:45 am

Has been ninja asked in several topics already but thought about opening a dedicated one.

So what i'm looking for is 3D files for the DMG1 case.
Currently only renders available in the wild but not the real deal.
I haven't the time to draw it from scratch, the customizing will already take enough time.

So if anyone knows where i can get my hands on those it'd be greatly appreciated.

The idea is to modify the case to our needs so it can be 3D printed with all the needed space, buttonholes, fan vents, shoulderbutton mounts and whatnot.

thanks

iSP

Re: [LF] DMG1 case 3D print files

Post by iSP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:14 am

I will do this from scratch shortly... maybe we could join forces I don't know haven't thought about that yet.
Will do it either in solid works or inventor.

solder

Post by solder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 am

iSP wrote:I will do this from scratch shortly... maybe we could join forces I don't know haven't thought about that yet.

Awesome, ur motivated! Will be alot of work.
I'm using Rhino.

Anyone with access to a precise 3D laser scanner on here? :D

iSP

Post by iSP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:08 am

solder wrote:
iSP wrote:I will do this from scratch shortly... maybe we could join forces I don't know haven't thought about that yet.

Awesome, ur motivated! Will be alot of work.
I'm using Rhino.

Anyone with access to a precise 3D laser scanner on here? :D
Thing is I have 2 jobs and one of my jobs requires me to evaluate some cad software.
Right now we're using Autocad so inventor would be the logical choice... but it's expensive and we have some issues with support.
Solidworks looks like it's more used in the particular field the company wants focus their attention on so it just might be the perfect way to go.

Either way I've been thinking about making such a case and I've hinted at places... not so much for 3D printing but actual ABS molding.
1 of our other engineers already has experience with ABS and the original gameboy was made with it... so it might be the perfect way to go.
Right now I need to finish 1 small project first and then I got all the time I want for it, basically. All that matters is that I get a gameboy now... right now only have a pocket as my younger brother broke my old gameboy many many years ago and the replacement shell still hasn't arrived.

I'd expect to open a topic in about a few days and by then I should know what path I want to take this with. Best would be someone in my country so we can pack and ship the gameboy shells together if we take them into production. There's plenty companies which do ABS injection over here so we should be golden. But when done right we might have a winner on our hands.

solder

Post by solder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 am

Nice! Definately going to follow ur project :]

The thing is, 3D printing adds this flexibility that allows you to adjust each print to the project's needs and leaves you with endless material/color options.
Rubber GBzero with 6 shoulderbuttons? Ceramic one with fan vents? New rPi out let's adjust this thing! All no problemo once you got the stock design files setup.

iSP

Post by iSP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am

solder wrote:Nice! Definately going to follow ur project :]

The thing is, 3D printing adds this flexibility that allows you to adjust each print to the project's needs and leaves you with endless material/color options.
Rubber GBzero with 6 shoulderbuttons? Ceramic one with fan vents? New rPi out let's adjust this thing! All no problemo once you got the stock design files setup.
I know... but it just doesn't give the quality (surface finish) I'm looking for and most people are looking for. Probably my version will cover 90% of the needs of most people and maybe 5% can be modded afterwards. That leaves a group of 5% for something else. Just estimations, it's not like I did a survey or anything :P. Will just have to see how it'll work out, 3D cad in autocad is really a lot of trouble and even on my beefy cad station at work it causes performance issues (2D is just fine, simple 3D is also fine but not anything complicated). Right now for 3D we're using Vectorworks which is a hell to communicate with other software, but within Vectorworks our most senior engineer probably draws a gameboy in just several hours... I'm looking for software that is as fast and accurate, in essence a gameboy is a box with some rounded features which will make a very nice project to try.

solder

Post by solder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:18 am

Really depends on the printer used. Desktop sla prints on max res you can't tell it's 3d printed parts.

Anyhow, we need files first. Maybe i can get a mate motivated to draw me the shell using grasshopper ;]

Sesambrötchen

Post by Sesambrötchen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 pm

If you are looking for Gameboy case files, someone already have made one.
You can download them on GrabCad https://grabcad.com/library/retro-nintendo-gameboy-1

Unfortunately I can not open the files, because I have an older version of SolidWorks.
But maybe it can help you anyways.

solder

Post by solder » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Sesambrötchen wrote:If you are looking for Gameboy case files, someone already have made one.
You can download them on GrabCad https://grabcad.com/library/retro-nintendo-gameboy-1

Unfortunately I can not open the files, because I have an older version of SolidWorks.
But maybe it can help you anyways.
Now this is neat. i stumbled upon this too but thought it'd would be only renders :D
The files look pretty good as base, exported the SW files to .stl.
OOhh the possibilities :D No more dremeling and them new screwposts :o

Would share but idk how the TM kicks in here? I guess for personal hobby use it's fine but having em avail for download :s
@wermy what's your take on this?

AerynSun

Post by AerynSun » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am

solder wrote: Now this is neat. i stumbled upon this too but thought it'd would be only renders :D
The files look pretty good as base, exported the SW files to .stl.
OOhh the possibilities :D No more dremeling and them new screwposts :o
Hey, I also had a look at that file. The front part of the case doesn't have any screw posts, so you have to add them. All in all the file was created to be visually appealing and not for function.
I put my DMG case on a scanner last week and wanted to have a shot myself, but didn't have the time yet.