mintyPi 2.0

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: mintyPi 2.0

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:39 am

You can get the SD in and Out rather easily but you need to flex the pcb arm that has the start and select buttons a tiny bit to do so. I do this all the time and the pcb is meant to have a little flex since it's super thin just don't pry it with force and break the PCB and once it's setup you don't really need to remove it.

As for the LCD ribbon it has been mentioned on 5 different topics and I'm getting tired of seeing it asked when it was probably answered in the previous page but no one bothers to read. The ribbon needs to be trimmed on both ends of the ribbon fingers and then tape needs to be added so it's thickened up and this also strengthens the ribbon like so:

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

BMC

Post by BMC » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:40 am

I really want to make one of these but I don't have the parts. Can I buy one anywhere? :P

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:08 am

BMC wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:40 am
I really want to make one of these but I don't have the parts. Can I buy one anywhere? :P
Keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade forum. I'm sure there will be a few people selling a completed unit soon.
ImageImageImageImage

pcdude41

Post by pcdude41 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 am

okay got all the parts just waiting on a guide :D no rush

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Holydohnut wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:51 am
Sirlias wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:20 pm

That's awesome. I actually had mine up and running last night but when I put everything into the tin the screen went white.
I got my boards today and I confess to being a bit nervous about the LCD board. The ribbon connectors on that board are quite crooked. I'm worried that may cause an issue when I fit the screen actually in the tin, in case the ribbon goes straight and the connector stays crooked and some pins end up getting crossed. I think we both need to wait til the guide comes out and try not to worry too much until then! :-)
Yeah I was nervous too. I actually found the problem was I needed to trim a little more off than I did the first time and add a little more tape. Now it works like a charm. Helder and wermy had mentioned the trimming and tape before but I was too timid with my first try.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ckENetTOMkCVp2gz2

I did slip with the screw driver and scratch my screen which is a downer but all in all I'm really happy with it.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Sirlias wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm
Holydohnut wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:51 am
Sirlias wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:20 pm

That's awesome. I actually had mine up and running last night but when I put everything into the tin the screen went white.
I got my boards today and I confess to being a bit nervous about the LCD board. The ribbon connectors on that board are quite crooked. I'm worried that may cause an issue when I fit the screen actually in the tin, in case the ribbon goes straight and the connector stays crooked and some pins end up getting crossed. I think we both need to wait til the guide comes out and try not to worry too much until then! :-)
Yeah I was nervous too. I actually found the problem was I needed to trim a little more off than I did the first time and add a little more tape. Now it works like a charm. Helder and wermy had mentioned the trimming and tape before but I was too timid with my first try.

I did slip with the screw driver and scratch my screen which is a downer but all in all I'm really happy with it.
How did you slip with the screw driver? the plastic isn't that hard to screw into.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Sirlias wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Ouch, sorry man that sucks. Glad you got it all together and working though.
ImageImageImageImage

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Helder wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm
How did you slip with the screw driver? the plastic isn't that hard to screw into.
It happened after a confluence of bad decisions.
1) it was very late and I was very tired.
2) I couldn't find the right screwdriver and used one that was too small which stripped the screw a bit.
3) because I cut and taped the ribbon too little at first it kept stopping working when I screwed that faceplate on so I screwed and unscrewed it many times.

After so many trial and errors I was getting frustrated and wasn't paying enough attention and whoops.

It happens.

Sirlias

Post by Sirlias » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:01 pm

wermy wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 pm
Ouch, sorry man that sucks. Glad you got it all together and working though.
Oh it's fine. I don't really notice when I'm playing. It was a bunch of fun figuring it out. Mistakes happen. I'm just glad I didn't break it.

SoulsOfWolves

Post by SoulsOfWolves » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Can anybody tell me where to get the m2 screws? I'm sooo confused on how to read the metric measurements.

Update: Nevermind, I figured it out and got them. :D
Last edited by SoulsOfWolves on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.