mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

General mintyPi-related chat goes here. Share ideas, ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums, etc.
wermy
Site Admin

Re: mintyPi 2.0 News & Updates

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Roller Toaster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:43 pm
My MintyPi parts arrived today and everything appears functional, however the face buttons are extremely tight. My X is actually stuck and can't be pressed or removed from the case without some force.
Hey glad they got there. Were you using the buttons I supplied or from somewhere else? I did find that there was an annoying amount of variation in button diameter depending on who made the buttons. The parts are sort of tuned to the buttons I bought from a distributor, so if they are too tight you may need to expand them a bit. I have used a cone-shaped drill bit like this to do it with great results (gently by hand):
SpoilerShow
Probably upwards of 90% of people ordering purchased the buttons from me as well, so I sort of needed to tune the parts to those.
ImageImageImageImage

obsidianspider

Post by obsidianspider » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll be using genuine Nintendo buttons and will report in on how things fit.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:00 pm

obsidianspider wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm
I'll be using genuine Nintendo buttons and will report in on how things fit.
Official ones may be a bit snug, but let me know how it goes! If you have a drill bit like I posted above (which was only a couple bucks, I think), it only takes a minute to remedy it. If I tuned the parts to fit the largest buttons (I tried several different varieties/suppliers) then the smallest ones wound up rattling around. I'm working on putting together a guide this weekend, I'll be going over everything like this to watch out for.
ImageImageImageImage

Roller Toaster

Post by Roller Toaster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I got my buttons from an old DS Lite case. What appears to be the problem is a little printing error with one layer of the plastic center square bit sticking out slightly. I'll sand it away and hopefully that'll resolve the problem.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Roller Toaster wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm
I got my buttons from an old DS Lite case. What appears to be the problem is a little printing error with one layer of the plastic center square bit sticking out slightly. I'll sand it away and hopefully that'll resolve the problem.
Ah, yeah 3d printers are great but they are far from perfect. :) I'll have a video up in the coming days which will show things to watch out for like that.
ImageImageImageImage

BobTheGreat

Post by BobTheGreat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:11 pm

When will there be a tutorial I'm very patient and know there's problems but I'm borrowing supplies and need to return it when I'm done :D Sorry

Roller Toaster

Post by Roller Toaster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I managed to find a Dremel bit with the perfect radius so I've been hand cranking that and the button action now feels nice and smooth! I'll be doing the same to the rest of the buttons so that they all feel great. I hope to see a guide for the rest of the build soon! Thanks Wermy!

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Will we be able to run a script on a retropie image that is already loaded with roms? I want to set up a SD care on another pi and then run a script, shutdown the pi and put SD card into minty pi. I did this with a pigrrl 2
The Pi Guy #retromod_customs

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Kyran wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm
Will we be able to run a script on a retropie image that is already loaded with roms? I want to set up a SD care on another pi and then run a script, shutdown the pi and put SD card into minty pi. I did this with a pigrrl 2
The script is meant for a fresh retropie install, I'm not sure what will happen if you run it on one that is already set up for a pigrrl (I know that also uses an SPI screen, so that's the only real concern).
ImageImageImageImage

Kyran

Post by Kyran » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 pm

wermy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm
Kyran wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm
The script is meant for a fresh retropie install, I'm not sure what will happen if you run it on one that is already set up for a pigrrl (I know that also uses an SPI screen, so that's the only real concern).
I wasn't meaning an image setup up for pigrrl, I meant a fresh retropie image already loaded with roms. Just wanting to know if I can setup on another pi first then shutdown pi and put SD card in mintypi
The Pi Guy #retromod_customs