mintyPi lite slow

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
Xythatoneguyyx

mintyPi lite slow

Post by Xythatoneguyyx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:59 am

I recently finished putting together my mintyPi lite. I added some games for only the SNES so far as I only planned to play those and some GB/A games on this mintyPi. Now I have tried Tetris Attack, Super Mario World, F-Zero, and Mortal Kombat. All of these games run very slow. If I were to guess a percentage I'd say something like 50-60% speed max. I also want to mention that I'm not sure if its just the games that run slow or Retropie as well as I do not have anything else to compare side by side I did a quick forum search and found that I should try WiFi off and a new MicroSD card. After I turned the WiFi off I got excited because the loading screen for Mortal Kombat actually looked and sounded normal! After that I went to start a match and the lag returned. Albeit not as bad but it was still like 75% speed max. I booted up Super Mario World and the lag was still there but in the game world. If I am in the map over world it runs pretty much 100%. So what I am trying to say is that it only lags when I am actually playing. My questions are, do other people have the same experience? Is this to be expected? Could it be the ROM files that are causing the performance issues? I'm having a hard time imagining GBA games will run 100% but I have yet to install any. I also haven't tried a different microSD card as it will take a week to get here but the one I have is a SanDisk 64GB C10 U1 A1 with advertised read speeds of 100MB/s. Should be fine right? Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give as much info as I could.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: mintyPi lite slow

Post by Helder » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:37 am

You can try other emulators the default SNES one is ok but can be laggy at times, if you have the latest mintyPi lite image it will have another SNES emulator to choose from pisnes and this one runs much smoother. Press like the X button a few times when booting a rom to enter the menu to choose default emulators.

I suggest looking into how to install alternate emulators for retropie so you can try others out. Most people have no issue with the ones provided in the image and Bluetooth and Wifi play a big role in lag.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Xythatoneguyyx

Re: mintyPi lite slow

Post by Xythatoneguyyx » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm

I am so glad you suggested I try PISNES. It runs all these games just fine! I am elated! I had some difficulty switching the emulator because pressing X a few times would just pull up a black screen and then the letter Z would come up each time I kept pressing X. I tried pressing other buttons but no luck. Ended up just holding X and it worked! Now all my SNES games run very nicely! Thank you again for your suggestions!