mintyPi wont turn on

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
TheDeviantZen

mintyPi wont turn on

Post by TheDeviantZen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 am

Hi mates,
I can use a little of your help here.
I putted my mityPi together yesterday, everything was going fine. Did the first test (powering the pi0 with usb) like on the tutorial video, and it worked :D

After that I assembled all the parts together and now my mintypi wont turn on.
Some photosShow
Maybe I connected something on the wrong place :/ Can you help me?

Should my black wire from the switch be connected to the vcc?

Tomorrow I'll go on a vacation trip and would love to bring it with me.

VeteranGamer

Re: mintyPi wont turn on

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am

TheDeviantZen wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 am
Hi mates,
I can use a little of your help here.
I putted my mityPi together yesterday, everything was going fine. Did the first test (powering the pi0 with usb) like on the tutorial video, and it worked :D

After that I assembled all the parts together and now my mintypi wont turn on.
Some photosShow
Maybe I connected something on the wrong place :/ Can you help me?

Should my black wire from the switch be connected to the vcc?

Tomorrow I'll go on a vacation trip and would love to bring it with me.

you have also got a GND wire going to the switch.... i think that should be a 5v (VCC)

move the GND wire on the mintyPi board coming from the switch to the next point on the board (VCC)

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:16 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am
you have also got a GND wire going to the switch.... i think that should be a 5v (VCC)

move the GND wire on the mintyPi board coming from the switch to the next point on the board (VCC)
Thanks :) I will test it when I get home on my lunch time and leave a feedback here :)

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 am

Yeah! that was the problem :) now it works just fine! thanks!

I noticed other problem :(
No sound. Do I have to change any option so I can have sound? What is the key combo to volume up and down?

Edit:
Ok, found on wiki that the volume can be controlled by pressing select + L/R... I'll try that
Last edited by TheDeviantZen on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 am

TheDeviantZen wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 am

No sound. Do I have to change any option so I can have sound? What is the key combo to volume up and down?
Can you post some clearer images of the sound card and the usb pads on the bottom of the pi?
ImageImageImageImage

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:05 am

wermy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 am
TheDeviantZen wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 am

Can you post some clearer images of the sound card and the usb pads on the bottom of the pi?
I will post later when i get home.. I will try to rework all the solder i did on the card, it might solve the problem.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am

I'd look at your USB pads on the pi itself first - it's pretty common for people to accidentally bridge one of those with the usb port legs right next to it. It's really hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like your sound card itself is ok.
ImageImageImageImage

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 am

wermy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am
I'd look at your USB pads on the pi itself first - it's pretty common for people to accidentally bridge one of those with the usb port legs right next to it. It's really hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like your sound card itself is ok.
Hi again!
Arrived from my vacation. So, I re-soldered everything again and the sound card now works fine.
That problem is now solved :D
Now I'm facing an other "problem", im trying to set my wifi network by following your tutorial steps. In there you say:
wermy wrote:You should have access to a folder on the SD card that’s named ‘boot’ (it’s actually a partition). Within there, there will be a file called “wpa_supplicant.conf”.
the only file I have its called "._wpa_supplicant.conf", should I delete the "._" ?
and than you say:
wermy wrote:Open it up with a text editor, and enter your wifi network name (SSID) where it says “SSID_GOES_HERE” (keep the quotes). Enter your wifi password where it says “WIFI_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE”. That’s it!
But when I open the file I have It only says: " Mac OS X 2 ° â ATTR;šÉÿ â ¨ * ¨ * $com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags bplist00  This resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ"

What should I do?
should I create a file named wpa_supplicant.conf? Can you send me your file so I have only to replace with my wifi ssid and password?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 am

TheDeviantZen wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 am
wermy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am
Hi again!
Arrived from my vacation. So, I re-soldered everything again and the sound card now works fine.
That problem is now solved :D
Now I'm facing an other "problem", im trying to set my wifi network by following your tutorial steps. In there you say:
wermy wrote:You should have access to a folder on the SD card that’s named ‘boot’ (it’s actually a partition). Within there, there will be a file called “wpa_supplicant.conf”.
the only file I have its called "._wpa_supplicant.conf", should I delete the "._" ?
and than you say:
wermy wrote:Open it up with a text editor, and enter your wifi network name (SSID) where it says “SSID_GOES_HERE” (keep the quotes). Enter your wifi password where it says “WIFI_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE”. That’s it!
But when I open the file I have It only says: " Mac OS X 2 ° â ATTR;šÉÿ â ¨ * ¨ * $com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags bplist00  This resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ"

What should I do?
should I create a file named wpa_supplicant.conf? Can you send me your file so I have only to replace with my wifi ssid and password?
That file gets moved automatically from /boot when you first turn it on. That _. is just a dumb remnant from me creating the image on macOS. :)

Just create a file in /boot/config.txt named wpa_supplicant.conf, and add to it the following:

Code: Select all

network={
    ssid="SSID_GOES_HERE"
    psk="WIFI_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
ImageImageImageImage

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 am

On ssid and psk, should I keep the quotation marks "..." ?

EDIT:
Yay! I think it worked :D I will test now transfering some roms

EDIT 2:
Other problem.
Unable to connect to my pi :( I tried with winscp and filezilla and both can't connect. went to my router to confirm if the ip address of my pi was right, and its all good.

what am I doing wrong? :/

EDIT 3:
Restarted the pi, now its working fine :D