Can't get IP Address to show

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
CoopDeGrah

Can't get IP Address to show

Post by CoopDeGrah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm

I went into the wpa_supplicant.conf file and added my SSID and password, saved it put it in my pi, but when I go to the "show ip" option in retropie it says "Your IP is: " and then it's just blank. I believe I have everything set up correctly as everything is working except for that. I am also using a RaspberryPi 0 W just like wermy. If anyone could possibly help that would be great thank!

dryja123

Re: Can't get IP Address to show

Post by dryja123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:38 pm

CoopDeGrah wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm
I went into the wpa_supplicant.conf file and added my SSID and password, saved it put it in my pi, but when I go to the "show ip" option in retropie it says "Your IP is: " and then it's just blank. I believe I have everything set up correctly as everything is working except for that. I am also using a RaspberryPi 0 W just like wermy. If anyone could possibly help that would be great thank!
Take a look at your router and see what devices are using what IP addresses. You can also download an app called Fing which will scan your network and report your IP addresses. Fing is available on the Google play store, not sure about the Apple App store.

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Make sure that wifi is turned on. Wermy has an option to turn wifi and Bluetooth on and off.

CoopDeGrah

Post by CoopDeGrah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm

I have tried turning the wifi on and then going into the IP address section but it still shows as no IP, and when I check my router to see all the devices connected it doesn't show the pi even though I know I set up the file to have my SSID and password entered.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Did you delete the quotation marks on the wpa file?

CoopDeGrah

Post by CoopDeGrah » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 pm

dryja123 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 pm
I didn't because I made sure to follow the instructions as closely as possible and double checked when I edited the file.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:57 pm

CoopDeGrah wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 pm
dryja123 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:50 pm
I didn't because I made sure to follow the instructions as closely as possible and double checked when I edited the file.
Perfect. If you've verified everything I would suggest formatting and re imaging your SD card.

jrok96

Post by jrok96 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 pm

just noticed the same. although there's a tiny chance that maybe i forgot to add the ssid and password the last time i made the image.. might just have to disassemble the minty pi and remake the image. dryjoint are you saying that the quotation marks should have been deleted? if so then that would definitely be the cause in my case but somehow i doubt they should be deleted.

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:48 pm

jrok96 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 pm
just noticed the same. although there's a tiny chance that maybe i forgot to add the ssid and password the last time i made the image.. might just have to disassemble the minty pi and remake the image. dryjoint are you saying that the quotation marks should have been deleted? if so then that would definitely be the cause in my case but somehow i doubt they should be deleted.
Close spelling on my name, that's a new one :lol:

No, the quotations are needed. I was asking because I wanted to see if the user deleted them or not.

jrok96

Post by jrok96 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm

jrok96 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 pm
ended up connecting an older router and making a simple network with wpa2 or something and adding a new wpa.supplicant.conf folder to the sd card and it connected without issue. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with my newer asus a68w router cause im pretty sure i had the same wpa2 security. After all that filezilla wouldn't connect to the pi after several attempt until i finally realized i had to switch it from ftp (that i use all the time with xboxs) to ssh. ;)