Odd issues with minty pi, freezing etc...

Having trouble with your mintyPi build? Post your questions here!
rodocop

Odd issues with minty pi, freezing etc...

Post by rodocop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

So, I have just finished my second minty pi. In this one I have used the battery monitor board. I have noticed an odd issue when I am trying to install the battery monitor script from HoolyHoo. When I go to run the MintyInstall.sh (using putty) it gets part way through and then the whole system freezes. The green activity LED no longer lights up on the pi. The screen remains on and shows whatever was on last (retropie menu etc), none of the buttons works, and I am forced to power off using the switch. I was never able to actually install the script.

My next step is to open it up and put the v3 image on, to skip the process of installing the script, i'll do that after work. In the meantime, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem? Would there be a reason running the script would strain the system enough to freeze? Or should I be looking for other hardware related issues?

My setup includes the adadfruit micro lipo, and 1200mah battery (fully charged), along with all of helder's parts and a pi zero w. I have checked all solder points and get continuity on everything. I am reading ~3.7V on the VCC and GND pads (on Helder's board, and on the pi itself), and ~3.3V on the VCC for the screen. Everything seems to check out.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Odd issues with minty pi, freezing etc...

Post by Helder » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Some of the old scripts had some freezing issues while in the ES menu, it's best to be in game or in one of those DOS like menus like the audio or wifi screen when doing these installs to avoid possible freezing. The issue is to do with the ES Menu causing the issues and freezing the screen and eventually the system sometimes.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 pm
Some of the old scripts had some freezing issues while in the ES menu, it's best to be in game or in one of those DOS like menus like the audio or wifi screen when doing these installs to avoid possible freezing. The issue is to do with the ES Menu causing the issues and freezing the screen and eventually the system sometimes.
Hmm. I thought the same and I had actually tried while in game and in the command prompt. Same thing happened. I just burned a new v3 img on the sd card. I'll update the results after I get it back together later tonight.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Sooooo...I've installed a new card with the v3 image. Booted up fine, saw the monitor in the corner, great, right? Well, no...I set the minty pi down and it randomly shuts down. Turned it back on and no battery monitor, and it was showing an error in the command prompt (something about the battery script, cant remember)...So, I burned a new image, opened it up once more and put the card in. Go to power it on, nothing, no power, nothing works. Check all my connections, now my battery is reading 0V, and it is showing continuity between the + and - JST pins, wtf?.

When I disconnect the battery it reads 3.8V, but connected to the micro lipo it shows 0V. I do not see any visible issues with the micro lipo, and all connections were covered by kapton tape, so I am unsure what happened. I took the micro lipo out, and replaced it with ones of the cheapo tp4056 chargers, and now everything works, monitor shows, and I am not getting any random resets or freezing issues.

Seems as though I had a few issues that I didn't expect, and now I have a micro lipo that isn't working. At least everything else is done!