(Wanted) Original DMG-01 LCD Screen or a good option

Post all "Looking to buy XYZ" threads here.
jonlimitless

(Wanted) Original DMG-01 LCD Screen or a good option

Post by jonlimitless » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello community,

As I was wondering through the internet looking for goodies I realized that there isn't really a lot of options to replace a broken screens for the original Game Boy besides 'magically' finding a whole other working board. Now maybe I wasn't looking to hard but this all came to mind when I begin modding an original Game Boy I had purchased. I would like to note the case was damaged heavily, components inside like capacitors were completely missing and some connections were removed. I was not the cause of all this DMG hate but I was trying to show it some love and get it working. Without fail, I was a big dummie and realized as I was installing the backlight kit that they had cut and tried to super glue the ribbon cable to the screen.

With all that said I will not give up on this old buddy as he is almost back to working with style. I honestly don't think anyone has come up with after market screen that works to replace the soldered in screen but I could be wrong. So what I want is either the magically hidden screen with ribbons or another screen that I could lightly modify the Game Boy to stay within its limits? So it would need to run and pull roughly the same as the past one cause this is meant to be a repair/fix project not another GMZ project, hahaha.

Note I did check all of the most common stores, google and reach out to some users I know that hold 'stock' but couldn't find anything.

Thank you all for your help and I wish you all the best!
- Jon

Chedda

Re: (Wanted) Original DMG-01 LCD Screen or a good option

Post by Chedda » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:32 pm

I have a board with a display. It did work before I started robbing parts off of it.
Builder and tinkerer

jonlimitless

Post by jonlimitless » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Chedda wrote:I have a board with a display. It did work before I started robbing parts off of it.
Does it still have the screen & ribbon cables unmodified? I may be able to re-use whatever else is on it most likely. Would you be willing to depart with it and how much? (Feel free to PM me if that makes you feel more comfortable.)

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:21 am

I have one with a single horizontal line on it.

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:54 am

I have 2 sets of gb guts I bought as broken and never even tried out, I'd be willing to part with them *after* salvaging the pot wheels. no guarantees on them working though
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:57 am

jonlimitless wrote:
Chedda wrote:I have a board with a display. It did work before I started robbing parts off of it.
Does it still have the screen & ribbon cables unmodified? I may be able to re-use whatever else is on it most likely. Would you be willing to depart with it and how much? (Feel free to PM me if that makes you feel more comfortable.)

Everything on the screen is unmodified. I haven't even taken the screws off of it. I don't even know how much to charge hah. Where are you located?
Builder and tinkerer

jonlimitless

Post by jonlimitless » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:47 am

Chedda wrote:
jonlimitless wrote:

Everything on the screen is unmodified. I haven't even taken the screws off of it. I don't even know how much to charge hah. Where are you located?
I'll PM you Chedda.

Camble you might be able to fix that, have you tried?

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:51 am

@jonlimitless Not yet

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 am

Builder and tinkerer

jonlimitless

Post by jonlimitless » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:07 am

@camble Check out this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4PArFarm_k as it could fix it and I'm sure you can find a buyer quickly as they are super hard to find, at least for me. Thank you so much tho, and any update on pre-orders for your new power off switch?

@Chedda Woo! so excited and it looks amazing dude. Definitely community came through on finding a hard part to find.

I wanted an original on top of my custom that used no original parts. So that way if I ever found a cool cart I could always play it. I'll be sure to show the finish DMG in the show off corner when it is done. :)