Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Rolen47

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Rolen47 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Obese Daemon wrote:Sorry to just jump in here with all things going on and such, new member to the forum and community and to me one of the most important things is the screen and quiality i don't really have any/much experience at all with coding/soldering etc but i am a tweaker and love to just mess with things see what happens and learn like just taken things apart for the fun of it :D

Anyway i'm posting as my first post to see what resolutions and screen sizes are generally best, most people seem to use like 320x320 or something is it which looks okay but seems abit lacking and i'm sure i saw somewhere someone mention a 640x640 res? which even if costing somewhat more would be the route i would want to take because if i am going to do this i want to do it properly :)

So i guess would just like someone to quickly run over things or point me in some generally directions because to me a screen is one of the vital items. also some screens seem only just fitting like any sort of screen protection/bezel type thing would cover part of it which again would not be desired.

Either way thanks in advance and any info is a great help
The reason the 320x240 screen is so popular is because it's cheap, only around $16. If you want 640x480 then you'll probably have to buy the PD035VX2, which is around $80-$100. You can find more information about the PD035VX2 from Cannikin's post on the 5th page of this topic.

Obese Daemon

Post by Obese Daemon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Rolen47 wrote:
Obese Daemon wrote:Sorry to just jump in here with all things going on and such, new member to the forum and community and to me one of the most important things is the screen and quiality i don't really have any/much experience at all with coding/soldering etc but i am a tweaker and love to just mess with things see what happens and learn like just taken things apart for the fun of it :D

Anyway i'm posting as my first post to see what resolutions and screen sizes are generally best, most people seem to use like 320x320 or something is it which looks okay but seems abit lacking and i'm sure i saw somewhere someone mention a 640x640 res? which even if costing somewhat more would be the route i would want to take because if i am going to do this i want to do it properly :)

So i guess would just like someone to quickly run over things or point me in some generally directions because to me a screen is one of the vital items. also some screens seem only just fitting like any sort of screen protection/bezel type thing would cover part of it which again would not be desired.

Either way thanks in advance and any info is a great help
The reason the 320x240 screen is so popular is because it's cheap, only around $16. If you want 640x480 then you'll probably have to buy the PD035VX2, which is around $80-$100. You can find more information about the PD035VX2 from Cannikin's post on the 5th page of this topic.
Thanks for the reply, i will have a good look into it, i have quickly checked over that post on page 5 of the thread.. and as i suspected and would want there is a rather large and obvious difference so if i can justify the price i find one at (also as i am in the U.K) then i'll be sure to get 640x480 as i want mine to be as top end as i can within reason of course

damian

Post by damian » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Note to self: Always test the monitor out of the box first. Somehow must have fried my BW V7 screen. I have tried many different combinations to get it to run on 5V (jumper wire to pin 2, switching the to different video outs, remove and resoldering). Nothing.

Ordered two more from different buyers. Hopefully get one working as I just about spent what I would on an adafruit screen :lol:

ricecake

Post by ricecake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:29 pm

Are these BW actually new or old displays? My brand new v7 display from Epathdeals/Amazon has a little gearbox logo burned into screen.

Zero

Post by Zero » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:42 pm

ricecake wrote:Are these BW actually new or old displays? My brand new v7 display from Epathdeals/Amazon has a little gearbox logo burned into screen.
That's the background 'art' for the retropie category option you have highlighted. ;)

ricecake

Post by ricecake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Zero wrote:
ricecake wrote:Are these BW actually new or old displays? My brand new v7 display from Epathdeals/Amazon has a little gearbox logo burned into screen.
That's the background 'art' for the retropie category option you have highlighted. ;)
LOL oops. I have yet to wire the teensy board so I was just staring at that screen thinking it was a burn in image.

HoarseHorace

Post by HoarseHorace » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:35 pm

I just bought the BW 3.5 Composite as suggested in "Game Boy Zero Screen Options" on Amazon from seller "Five days to reach"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am pretty sure it is a V7 as per the wiki, and have some images below.

Last edited by HoarseHorace on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrash

Post by zerocrash » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:34 pm

HoarseHorace wrote:I just bought the BW 3.5 Composite as suggested in "Game Boy Zero Screen Options" on Amazon from seller "Five days to reach"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am pretty sure it is a V7 as per the wiki, and have some images below.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1Fmwv
I can confirm this. I ordered from this same page and the seller was Y2Y-USdirect which gave me v7.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:29 am

Just some quick feedback on the BW V7 screen after having finally completed my first build.

While it technically works unmodified, there is definite phasing that is greatly improved by doing the wiki-recommended jumper mod.

The short ribbon cable limits where you can position the PCB. Using the same general layout as the wermy builds, I have components squished pretty tightly against the screen in the general area of where the Pi is mounted. This causes a couple "dark spots" in the display where it is being compressed; and when you push buttons during gameplay, there's an occasional "ripple on water" effect from the LCD being squeezed. I may have been able to avoid a lot of of this by grinding down the original DMG cartridge bracket a bit where the Pi presses against it.

The screen (especially the lower bezel) gets pretty hot after being on for a half hour or so. This causes several pixels near that part of the bezel to light up so they look like stuck pixels.

I'd recommend putting some electrical tape over the part of the bezel with the exposed backlight. Otherwise, it shines through your Gameboy case, and looks kind of funny.

Trimming off about half of the length of the 3 settings buttons and then sanding them smooth helps to fit the button panel in your GBZ's battery compartment. Note that the wire for these buttons is attached to the PCB underneath the potentiometer, so be sure to plug it in before you mount the pot.

Maybe this isn't true for all V7 screens, but my screen didn't have any pesky adhesive or tape holding it in the original housing. This was nice. (I got mine from Amazon/EPathDeals using Prime Shipping in the US)
Image Image

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Very sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in this 40 pages of info. And the board search seems to find posts with those words, not the exact phrase you're looking for.

But was wondering if someone has done a comparison between different screens to see if there's much of a difference with clarity between any of them. I've built my first GBZ with the GearBest screen, and for this second build, I was looking to see if there's something better than this one.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds