Load rom from Card slot

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Marc

Load rom from Card slot

Post by Marc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:24 am

Dear i would like to use the Card slot reader to put an sd card like these http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1323.
And read file from there.
Is this possible ? How can i do ?
From the werny post is not clear for me what exactly is loaded from the card, is this the OS or the rom file.

Thanks in advance.

brendank

Re: Load rom from Card slot

Post by brendank » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:57 am

It's loading the entire OS, not just a single ROM.

Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:32 am

Thanks for reply,
Is there any solution to have a modded carthidge to act a usb drive, if the wiring go to the to USB on the pi but i cannot find any cart like that, did that one exist ?

Rewired44

Post by Rewired44 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:09 am

Marc wrote:Thanks for reply,
Is there any solution to have a modded carthidge to act a usb drive, if the wiring go to the to USB on the pi but i cannot find any cart like that, did that one exist ?
If you could find a super small micro sd card reader with a usb plug you may be able to put it in a cartridge however i do not think one exists. Come to think of it im not sure if a card reader would be recognised by retropie either.

A normal size usb is a little too large to fit into a cartridge (believe me i have tried) you could possible put a micro usb port in the cartridge and run the roms from a usb drive + micro usb adapter but this is kinda pointless when u already have a external usb port and isnt really what you are going for.

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:05 am

Thanks i will studying the problem.

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:19 am

Take a look at this from daftmike on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXuceH1zu5k

He uses NFC in cartridges to load up the games. You could perhaps take a similar approach with GameBoy carts. That's what I was planning to do ok my next build. I hope this helps.