GBZ and externally accessible USB

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
crisruv

GBZ and externally accessible USB

Post by crisruv » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 am

I'm beginning my GBZ really soon and walking through with a Kitch-Bent PCB (not AIO... still need to set up the teensy and the audio amp) and I've watched the walk throughs a few times already and am having a hard time understanding the purpose behind the external USBs... I understand the whole "keyboard and mouse" idea, but is it really necessary? What I'm seeing is maybe adding a wifi so I can SSH in... but that'd be about it.

I am also considering locking in the micro sd card... basically trying to save some space. Any advice into why this shouldn't be done? (outside of the cool factor of using a cartridge?)

RxBrad

Re: GBZ and externally accessible USB

Post by RxBrad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Wifi really is a must for most people. I've tried to mount the Linux file system to copy ROMs from my Windows PC, and it consistently caused SD corruption.
Image Image

crisruv

Post by crisruv » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:58 pm

RxBrad wrote:Wifi really is a must for most people. I've tried to mount the Linux file system to copy ROMs from my Windows PC, and it consistently caused SD corruption.
I'm doing my first go around using a pi3b and am definitely making use of the wifi. I foresee some dongles in my build. Thank you for the help!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Even if you have wifi, having an external usb is useful. Wired keyboards are dirt cheap and they are the easiest way to manage your file system/rename files/enter cheat codes, among other things. Not like you have a better use of the case window anyway.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:24 am

External USB is good for loading roms easily on the fly from USB. Plus to do anything to the filesystem you'll need a keyboard. Also for wifi and bluetooth. It's nice to have bluetooth because you can basically use the GBZ as a console if you connect it to hdmi. Lots of good reasons.

I agree about the SD card. I locked mine in because the cartridge reader seemed unreliable. No need to take the SD card out really if you have wifi and an external USB port.