Game Boy Zero - Gaboze Pocaio

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
32teeth

Re: Game Boy Zero - Pocket Edition

Post by 32teeth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 am

Thanks
I've actually gone back to the drawing board. To make a more accurate fit

I'll post update to git this week

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

Following this. Just got two GBP's from eBay that are DOA and wanted to Pi0 / OPi0 them.

To avoid further questions, maybe save someone else the question, I saw the files on your GitHub for everything, does OSH also solder on all the IC's and surface mount components? I saw someone mentioned $10/board, which is perfect for me as I'd love to use the board in my GBP builds if possible rather than scratching out traces.

Thank you for your work!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am

OSHPark.com just makes the boards, they don't offer assembly.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:09 am

goosewerks wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am
I saw someone mentioned $10/board, which is perfect for me as I'd love to use the board in my GBP builds if possible rather than scratching out traces.
yeah, all the prices i mentioned are just bare board prices.
I literally wouldn't know where to start with getting assembly done as well...
32teeth wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 am
Thanks
I've actually gone back to the drawing board. To make a more accurate fit

I'll post update to git this week
ooh nice one. if poss, can you trim off as much superfluous board from the bottom below the start select buttons so I can get 2 copies on a 100x100mm panel? (a height of about 48/49 mm would be perfect. enough to fit some mousebites between them)

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:55 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 am
OSHPark.com just makes the boards, they don't offer assembly.
Okay, thank you for clarification!
abrugsch wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:09 am
yeah, all the prices i mentioned are just bare board prices.
I literally wouldn't know where to start with getting assembly done as well...
I'd be interested in just the button PCBs for controls honestly. I can figure out audio and everything else myself.

dagormz

Post by dagormz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 am

very interested! I have an old gameboy color from my childhood that was broken that this would be perfect for

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Maybe once the mintyPi stuff cools down I can revisit this since I already have a plain PCB for buttons but I don't want to hog all the work that 32teeth has already put into it. Competition and choices for the community is always a good thing and I didn't forget about abrugsch who plans to do a board as well.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Pentium

Post by Pentium » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Helder wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Maybe once the mintyPi stuff cools down
That could take a while.
Quite a while indeed ;)

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm
Maybe once the mintyPi stuff cools down I can revisit this since I already have a plain PCB for buttons but I don't want to hog all the work that 32teeth has already put into it. Competition and choices for the community is always a good thing and I didn't forget about abrugsch who plans to do a board as well.
Can't you work somehow together and share each others work privately. It sounds silly and obvious, I know, but could you explain what I am missing that holds you back from doing so? Cost splitting? Work redundancy? Work overload? Credit? Pride? ( :lol: ).

Anyway thanks for considering it.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 am

Purely the fact that we haven't discussed it. That and I imagine Helder is super busy with fulfilling 450 minty pi orders...
personally I thought 32Teeth had abandoned his project (as it was "finished", and I didn't see any more activity from him) and really with these button PCB's there's probably not an easy way to share the work. Then there's the fact that I use KiCad, Helder uses Eagle and I think 32Teeth uses eagle (from the files in his github repo) and the 2 are totally not compatible either in file output (except gerbers, but even then they each have their quirks) or working method. then there's actually managing to collaborate when you have your own sproadic schedule of when you can work on side projects. just all the above makes collab almost more of a PITA than just doing it yourself