3.2" SPI LCD (working and ready for a build)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
VeteranGamer

Re: 3.2" SPI LCD (working and ready for a build)

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 am
Problem is the ribbon is like the 3.2 inch for the 3.5. It's real hard to find screens with that orientation and in spi for a reasonable price.
i had a feeling that would be the case.....

i did search around alot for SPI/DPI screens (and there are a few about)

and i couldnt find any that are as easy to connect as these iLi9341 screens

there are others out there that will work, but someone has to take the plunge and try them out.....

kite

Post by kite » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am

How is the FPS and tearing? Do you have a video?

There are a lot of LCDs like that I have bought quite a few to try and find the best fitting ones.. saying that I haven't tried your LCD before, I have a similar one which is 77mm x 53mm, yours is 55mm tall which helps fit the screen area better, if only it was DPI (the pics below are all DPI capable, and annoying the 3.5" that we currently use is still the best fit!)

Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am

kite wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am

i'm not 100% sure on the FPS, but in the menus its showing around 60FPS (which is a good sign)...
but that most probably will be different in-game...

but initial testing seem pretty good....
as this screens resolution is 320x240 (or 240x320) and not 480x320 (or 320x480) like most of the 3.5" SPI screens it seems to be handling everything ok

the speed is set to 99000000.....

and i've only tested it with a few games (which could be a good/bad selection to test with)
and i havent noticed any obvious issues of tearing or slow down

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

kite wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am
Cool looks like 10-15fps in game but it's clear at least :)

FBTFT supports 8 or 16bit parrallel, has anyone experimented with this and the performance it gets? I assume it is the pi setting the state of GPIOs so will be limited by the GPIO write speed (rather than SPI dealing with it by itself).

Is that using your theme in the sig? I really like the 'now loading..' when launching, did you do that? Do you have links to it? :)

i just replicated what Wermy and Helder did with the mintyPi, but just with the 3.2" version of that screen....

but i've got a feeling the Freeplay Zero guys are using a similar screen, but just the 40pin version (only going by the image they have of theres).....

so i think performance wise it should be a good option....

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am
kite wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am

i'm not 100% sure on the FPS, but in the menus its showing around 60FPS (which is a good sign)...
but that most probably will be different in-game...

but initial testing seem pretty good....
as this screens resolution is 320x240 (or 240x320) and not 480x320 (or 320x480) like most of the 3.5" SPI screens it seems to be handling everything ok

the speed is set to 99000000.....

and i've only tested it with a few games (which could be a good/bad selection to test with)
and i havent noticed any obvious issues of tearing or slow down
I did a little bit of digging about the speed setting for SPI screens. You could potentially get even better performance out of the screen by playing with the core_freq setting on the Pi:

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 120#p42327

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 am

Kite, watch this video for the runcommand custom loading screen addition ;)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/_aXerbx4TpA[/youtube]
Follow me on instagram Image

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 am

have you got the FPS command in you fbtft.config? mario's legs look a little slow in super mario world. I normally use that start video as an indication of how fast things are running. When he is running, his legs go like mad!!

i would normally say to up the speed, but you have already done that! the FPS command adjusts how often it sends an update to the screen. I normally use fps=60 but it never actually gets to 60.

The tearing you only really tend to see on large colour shifts, like when the sega logo fades out at the start of sonic. There is no getting away from the tearing im afraid.
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

moosepr wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 am
have you got the FPS command in you fbtft.config? mario's legs look a little slow in super mario world. I normally use that start video as an indication of how fast things are running. When he is running, his legs go like mad!!

i would normally say to up the speed, but you have already done that! the FPS command adjusts how often it sends an update to the screen. I normally use fps=60 but it never actually gets to 60.

The tearing you only really tend to see on large colour shifts, like when the sega logo fades out at the start of sonic. There is no getting away from the tearing im afraid.
i havent even started on the build with this screen yet (so havent mess with anything), but the initial test for me is good....
i'm sure ill be able to tweak it and get it performing better....

its clearer
and up close (not via a video) it doesnt seem laggy or slow (but i here what your saying about mario)
i most probably will have to look at the config (ill most probably might end up troubling you when that happens)

but so far to me it seems like a viable screen to use..... will know once i dig into my next build

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:15 pm

I have 2.4 and 2.8 screens with 40 pins but I couldn't get them going in SPI but could've been my adapter,but they can do DPI but needs software to do so and my software skills are lacking big time.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:20 am

i havent messed around with any settings yet (everything is the same as the initial setup/install)

but i just wanted to see what the FPS is in-game

i did this via RetroArch settings (and i'm not sure how accurate they are)

Mario Kart Super Circuit on GBA

Outrun on Megadrive/Genesis

the images arent that clear, but most of the games i tried where jumping around between 50-60FPS

this was also the case for Super Mario World on the SNES, but as moosepr pointed out, the legs were still a little slower....

for me the screens seems like a workable option, and i will be using it in a future build....
maybe some tweaking may improve it....