Moral Dilemma: When is it okay it dismantle a working (ish) Game Boy?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
AlmostSunTzu

Moral Dilemma: When is it okay it dismantle a working (ish) Game Boy?

Post by AlmostSunTzu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to start my first Game Boy Zero build. I wanted it to be a "Play It Loud" Green Game Boy like the one I owned as a child until someone stole it from me in 1997 or '98. Unfortunately, I can't find any pre-built DMG shells in that color- it's all lime green, glow-in-the-dark green or transparent green.

So I started searching for a cheap, non-functional green Game Boy. I finally found one for $25 (incl. shipping). It just arrived yesterday and to my surprise, it actually works- except for 8 or 9 lines on the screen which are completely messed up.

My question is, is this broken enough to justify dismantling it? Can you get replacement screens? Could I possible buy a cheap DMG case and put these guts inside it, while fixing the screen? I don't want to destroy a working Game Boy. I'm probably going to spend some money on DMG shells just to practice Dremeling out anyway, so I could buy an extra for these guts.

I bought this thing expecting it to not work at all and now that it kinda does work I feel bad taking it apart!
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5711 times

Robochris

Re: Moral Dilemma: When is it okay it dismantle a working (ish) Game Boy?

Post by Robochris » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn’t tear it down. But I like to collect.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm

If you decide to go for the mod then get a cheap shell and the lcds can usually be fixed with a soldering iron being run across the ribbon.

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 am

Robochris wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm
Personally, I wouldn’t tear it down. But I like to collect.
i'm also not a fan of butchering/using retro handhelds for the Game Boy Zero builds....
especially the Play it Loud Game Boy, and even more so as you can easily get repro cases....

i've seen people use the Transparent and even the Blue, even thou admittedly they do look cool .....
its not the way to go IMHO, especially as these units may/will go up in price and a Game Boy Zero really wont

AlmostSunTzu wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:08 pm
Unfortunately, I can't find any pre-built DMG shells in that color- it's all lime green, glow-in-the-dark green or transparent green.

you can get repro of nearly all the colours now (Ok, maybe not the transparent) so there really no excuses for using an original....
(unless you just really dont care)

https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/green-sn ... rn-snes-rm

https://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/custom-shells

because of legal reasons some of the better sellers that provide these cases haven't put the Game Boy logos on them....
unlike the ones you can easily source from China...

now this may not be a great thing for people selling refurbished Game Boy and trying to hood wink their potential buyers that they are buying an original item....

but for a Game Boy Zero build it doesnt matter, IMHO its actually a benefit...
do what i do, and just customise it....

repair the Game Boy you have, so you have the one from your childhood....
buy a repro in the same colour (if you want) from Deadpan Robot and build a Game Boy Zero (2018 style)

win, win

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey VeteranGamer, what did you use for those decals?

tinkerBOY

Post by tinkerBOY » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:09 am

Those horizontal lines on the Game Boy can still be fixed. It's a bit harder than the usual dead veritical lines but they can still be fixed.

Just buy a cheap case from AliExpress: http://s.aliexpress.com/uuAfYFni
New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

Jacegate

Post by Jacegate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm

I went an different route. I wanted my childhood gameboy as well. Mine was doa on the screen, explain shortly. I dissembled saved all the parts. Used the case with my old childhood stickers still stuck on it lol. With the saved parts i was able to replace the original screen (original screen and screen protector was destroyed by my best friend when i was a kid .22 Pellet air rifle lol) and install it a new custom painted case. After a new speaker, battery contacts and TLC it works fine now. But i would be against taking apart an easily fixable or working unit.

AlmostSunTzu

Post by AlmostSunTzu » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Well, to resurrect a 2.5 year old thread, I finally got the opportunity to complete my GBZ build and in December of 2020 got back to work.

How did I solve the moral dilemma, you ask? I decided to do the right thing and resume my search for a reproduction DMG shell! You guys were right :D

Somehow back when I posted this thread I missed the deadpanrobot link (actually sourced from RetroModding) that VeteranGamer posted. In December I stumbled upon RetroModding and decided to see if they had Play It Loud Green and behold, they did! I was shocked. I could have sworn I looked everywhere back then. Life just got in the way I guess (a deployment overseas specifically).

Anyway, I'm about halfway done with the build, just waiting on parts. Here's the inspiration Gameboy next to my work-in-progress:
SpoilerShow
gbz1.jpg
gbz1.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 3822 times

And here's the guts up till this point (using Kite's CS Lite):
SpoilerShow
gbz2.jpg
gbz2.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 3822 times
I'll create a build thread soon where I can talk about the issues I'm running into :lol:

Definitely going to restore that original DMG to its former glory, too!