Hi all! here's my GBZ WIP

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
username 123

Re: Hi all! here's my GBZ WIP

Post by username 123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:52 am

I used two of these and they fit the battery compartment with no wasted space. Almost like it was meant for the gameboy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182064113775

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:56 am

username 123 wrote:I used two of these and they fit the battery compartment with no wasted space. Almost like it was meant for the gameboy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182064113775
looks good! just slightly shorter than an S3 battery but same width. nice capacity too! not sure how available they are in the UK though. I don't recognize that model name of phone

username 123

Post by username 123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:05 am

Just search for Samsung 2000mah battery online. I don't think they made more then one model of the 2000mah.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 am

so...
Decisions... decisions.

I've been intending to use the adafruit 2.8" PiTFT in SPI mode for some time, but as many of you know, it's slow and lagsome...
I'd like to try and get it running in DPI mode though and get a great, lag free, pixel sharp display. but the downside is of course that it totally eats all the GPIO... which I wanted to use for controls, I2C, and the PWM audio but all of these are blitzed by putting the gpio into DPI mode.

so... do i go back to the drawing board and use a composite display, stick with the original SPI mode or lose all the functionality of GPIO and use USB sound and MCU HID controls...

also, using the display in DPI mode means saving a lot of space from nixing the display control board (and integrating anything i need on a new, custom PCB.)

bah

username 123

Post by username 123 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:03 pm

abrugsch wrote:so...
Decisions... decisions.

I've been intending to use the adafruit 2.8" PiTFT in SPI mode for some time, but as many of you know, it's slow and lagsome...
I'd like to try and get it running in DPI mode though and get a great, lag free, pixel sharp display. but the downside is of course that it totally eats all the GPIO... which I wanted to use for controls, I2C, and the PWM audio but all of these are blitzed by putting the gpio into DPI mode.

so... do i go back to the drawing board and use a composite display, stick with the original SPI mode or lose all the functionality of GPIO and use USB sound and MCU HID controls...

also, using the display in DPI mode means saving a lot of space from nixing the display control board (and integrating anything i need on a new, custom PCB.)

bah
Is there a guide for getting it done in dpi mode on the pi??

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:12 am

Not for my screen but there are general guides, I just have to figure out how it pertains to my screen and its data sheet. But even in RGB565 mode it's most of the GPIO including the extra interfaces like pwm, spi, and i2c. Even using alternate pin mappings...
@Kite is doing it on his:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=20#p4354

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:43 am

well since discussion on another thread has sort of forced my hand to reveal, my "something unique" is to be able to read real GB cartridges into the Pi.

I've been working on this for over a year but the whole project has gone stagnant since my 2nd son was born and I need to learn KiCAD to design a custom PCB for it.

anyway here's the video I made in April of the breadboarded reader hardware (2x MCP23017's and a DMG cart port)
(strange background noises are my local hackerspace. there's 3D printing nearby and circular sawing going on in the workshop!)
https://youtu.be/1zxX7A56I6I

and the ROM dump in progress
https://youtu.be/DH0ssV6EZhI

it's fairly slow in that vid as it was before I did some optimizations to speed it up a bit, but even so, perfect dark is one of the biggest GBC cartridges going and it takes a fair while (255 data banks - tetris takes only 1!)

so thanks to [mention]que20[/mention] for outing me ;)

que20

Post by que20 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:23 am

ahah! :lol:
I'm sorry abrugsch, but congratulations for your son :)
I look forward to see your next steps!