Veteran's 2nd GBZ (HDMI Screen) (Completed)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
VeteranGamer

Re: Veteran's 2nd GBZ (HDMI Screen + Stereo Sound) ((Nearly Done))

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Abunchahicks wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm
Are you still getting stereo sound from the headphones? It looks like you're only using the left output from the amp.
People have really got to start reading the previous posts....

It's all in there

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh well I guess I'll figure it out. I've read through this thread a few times and only see where you are scrapping stereo with the notebook speakers. I guess I thought you could keep stereo with the headphones?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Abunchahicks wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 pm
Oh well I guess I'll figure it out. I've read through this thread a few times and only see where you are scrapping stereo with the notebook speakers. I guess I thought you could keep stereo with the headphones?
the headphones were the issue (they had static/humming)
adding resistors might resolve it....

but this might help you......

use this for reference for the pinouts....

DeRock89

Post by DeRock89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:50 am

Do you think there is a way to split the HDMI FPV connection and run the second FPV cable from the split to a female HDMI connector? Maybe there is some sod of FPV splitter hub that exists or can be made. I was thinking to do this in order to have an external HDMI port for for plugging the GBZ into the TV to play on the big screen.

I just got my HDMI screen and FPV cables. I'm so nervous about figuring out how to fit everything.. I'm using a Pi3. I've stripped it down and orientated it like how it is in kites SAIO Pi3 tutorial. I've used that as a basis for how to fit the Pi3 in while conserving as much space as possible.

How do I remove the touch layer from the screen? Also, what kind of layer is underneath? Is it just soft plastic on the other side of the touch screen layer? I'm debating attempting to to use a router and rout out the front half where the screen sits so that it sits deeper into the front half and closer and more flush to the front.

Abunchahicks

Post by Abunchahicks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 pm
Abunchahicks wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 pm
the headphones were the issue (they had static/humming)
adding resistors might resolve it....

but this might help you......

use this for reference for the pinouts....

Thanks again for your help and inspiration. I hope my build is half as clean as yours.

On a side note have you seen the 3.5" hdmi ips screen? I have one coming my way and hope to do a comparison with the KeDei screen.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 am

An hdmi splitter is a complex circuitry, it’s not simple as putting 2 wiring in parallel. It also needs a power supply...
Follow me on instagram Image

DeRock89

Re: Veteran's 2nd GBZ (HDMI Screen + Stereo Sound) (WIP)

Post by DeRock89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:21 am
slight update....

screen modified to fit into case....

usb socket, switch and gpio connectors removed.... and shaved a little of the edge of the board....

also test fitted it with the 3d printed holder....

also got the rear buttons sorted....

there is also another issue that i'm trying to resolve.... and i think its the reason that we arent seeing people use this screen in there builds..

i'm working on a solution....

I'm trying to fit this screen now and it's and extremely tight fit, even where the plastic border is around the screen is jammed against the shell and I think it pay be bowing the shell a little bit. Did you deal with this and is the bowing an issue?
Also, how do I remove the touch screen without breaking something? I've waited over a month for this screen and I'm nurvous as can be about breaking it.

Also, what is under the touch screen glass? Is it just plastic?

Update: I measured the screen to the white plastic boarder and it's 85.30mm and the inside diameter of the front shell is about 84mm.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 pm

DeRock89 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm trying to fit this screen now and it's and extremely tight fit, even where the plastic border is around the screen is jammed against the shell and I think it pay be bowing the shell a little bit. Did you deal with this and is the bowing an issue?
Also, how do I remove the touch screen without breaking something? I've waited over a month for this screen and I'm nurvous as can be about breaking it.

Update: I measured the screen to the white plastic boarder and it's 85.30mm and the inside diameter of the front shell is about 84mm.
the screen shouldnt be an issue fitting into a case/shell, providing you have modified the board a bit (its snug, but should fit)....
its the same screen used by many others, including 1UP.... if your having issues it may be you case/shell (which is a long shot)

its glass i think, its defienately not plastic
the touch panel is held on with some double sided tape, carefully prise a corner and it should peal off....

DeRock89

Post by DeRock89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:39 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 pm
DeRock89 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm

the screen shouldnt be an issue fitting into a case/shell, providing you have modified the board a bit (its snug, but should fit)....
its the same screen used by many others, including 1UP.... if your having issues it may be you case/shell (which is a long shot)

its glass i think, its defienately not plastic
the touch panel is held on with some double sided tape, carefully prise a corner and it should peal off....

Thank you, I know it seems obvious to just pry it off, I'm just so nervous about breaking it. It's my daughters game boy and I told her I'm building her something for her birthday. I don't want to be delayed another month. Did you have to literally squish and wiggle yours in when you fit your screen? I can kind of get it in now but I have to get a little screwdriver and pry the edges away some. I've already filed the ends of the PCB to make it less wide the the screen itself.

snoek09

Post by snoek09 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I had a similar issue as the screen was simply to wide to fit into the case I have. It could be that some cases are just a bit less wide. I used a dremel to carefully remove some plastic from both sides of the case interior.