MacBean's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
MacBean

MacBean's GBZ

Post by MacBean » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Hey Everybody!

I have been lurking in the forums and quietly building away on this project for the last month.
I originally posted some pictures and a post when I started this project about a month ago on the old forums and never kept it up once we switched over to the new ones. :D Anyway, Figured it was time for an update and time to give back to the awesome community of builders we got here by sharing some pictures and tips from my build so far.

For starters here is the first post I made back on the old forums...

Got most of my stuff in the mail yesterday.
Still no PiZero. Hopefully that comes today.

First thing I did last night was test out the display I got from Amazon (seller name was “Touchshop.”)
The only issue I came across with it was that for some reason the exposed wires weren’t red and black but instead red and white. I had to try a few different connections but ended up with red to red and white to black of the Apple USB cable I used to test the display. I hooked it up to an old Wii I had in the attic and voilà!
Next up was to dig into the busted GameBoy I got off eBay. It actually is fully functional except for the screen. Hearing the Tetris music took me back even without the picture. Haha.
Then began the long, slow, meticulous job of dremeling this baby to death. Several hours later and Step One is complete! (minus the X & Y buttons)
Next up… Step Two and tackling the Teensy!
Wish me luck!

So that was the first post I made. Seems like years ago. I have learned so much already since then... mostly that a hot soldering iron to bare skin hurts like no other. :lol:

Anyway, I will post here shortly with an update on my progress as I am currently halfway through step 4! Lots to catch up on.
Cheers!

MacBean

Re: MacBean's GBZ

Post by MacBean » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 pm

Okay, lets see...

Right! Step two.

Ugh.... man, step to was the worst. No offense at all to Wermy's excellent video and guide but I was definitely in way over my head on that one. Scratching into those traces was a freakin' nightmare.
I did manage to do it after spend a couple of frustrated nights working on it.
About the time I got it sorted out Helder posted his board and I ordered one then and there!
While I was waiting for that to come in the mail I disassembled my screen, dremeled the X & Y holes, used a plastic tube piece from a cd case to make button housings and ordered some additional original DMG buttons off eBay.
Shortly after I got this wrapped up I received my first Pi Zero in the mail. Very long story short I had ordered it off eBay from a fellow who had willingly or not, sold me a dud.
This puppy wouldn't boot no matter what I did. I tested everything I could think of. Tried different sd cards, cables, tried flashing different software, tried flashing it different ways. No bueno. Never even got one blink of the ACT led. :x
In the end I returned it and got a starter pack off Adafruit and all was well with the world. :D
Shortly after this I moved onto mounting my screen and testing out the Pi Zero on it and this is one of the small little things I did that I'm kinda proud off. I didn't have any metal bits like Wermy used for the bracket lying around so I used something I have an abundance of... LEGO! :lol:
It worked pretty well and I managed to test my Zero out with it once mounted and all looked good.
Next up was the control board I got in the mail from Helder along with programing and wiring the Teensy.
I got it all working fairly easily. Ran into a couple of buttons getting confused because I had a stray wire that was bridging two buttons.
Once I got it all done though and guide 4 dropped I quickly realized that my wires in the electrical tape I had used as a sort of ribbon wire was too long. Poop! Had to desolder it and cut them shorter and in the process I burned the crap out of my hand with my soldering iron. :shock: Double poop!
Anyway, I'll survive. :lol:
So last night I worked on the front side of the case stuff from guide 4.
And that's where I'm at currently! I will update sometime next week once I finish guide 4.
Thanks for taking a look and good luck to everyone on their builds!

Bubble

Post by Bubble » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Nice job, clean work on the shell :)
Building the GBZ can be a tough road, but you're almost there.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:08 am

Looks nice! Good luck with this project. And watch those hot soldering iron bastards.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Dam thats clean. ok sending mine over for a cleaner job lol...nice work

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm

This is a fun build! Yeah, the burn sucks. I got myself the other day, I knocked the iron off of the table and tried to catch it before it hit the ground. Looking back, I should have let it fall. :P