Battery Life Indicator

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Vineheart01

Battery Life Indicator

Post by Vineheart01 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am

Hi, working on my first GBZ project. Theres a number of things involved in this i havnt actually done, despite having an electronics background (associates degree)
Big one is battery measurement. I remember one class talking about this but only very brief and i cant find my notes on it. Given the potential corruption if the pizero just suddenly drops power i want to avoid accidentally draining the battery completely. For my first build i figured it would be easier to just have a "Low Battery" lite ala ye olde Gameboy than to have an automatic safe powerdown (since i have no idea how to do that one either and sounds much more intuitive)

Did some searching for awhile, but everything i find is for specific batteries and higher voltages (searching 3.7V seems to bring up results where thats the 20% threshold, not the 100%). My build is using the 3.7V 2500 mAh lithium ion battery from Adafruit (link: https://www.adafruit.com/product/328). While it would be neat to have a full battery life indicator i mainly am just worried about having a low indicator so i know when to shut it off.

This thing also popped up quite a lot, though ive never seen anyone mention it on here: https://www.openimpulse.com/blog/produc ... indicator/ anybody have any comments about it? Would be super easy to just extend the LEDs to whereever i wanted them mounted, since as it is i think it would get in the way of too much stuff lol.

Most of the things im not used to i enjoy figuring out, but when it comes to messing with lithium batteries i'd rather not risk potentially toasting it lol so any help is appreciated

YaYa

Re: Battery Life Indicator

Post by YaYa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Follow me on instagram Image

Vineheart01

Re: Battery Life Indicator

Post by Vineheart01 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

well thats useful.
Thanks!

edit: well, that was stupid of me. Apparently the powerboost 1000c already has a low battery light i can use...derp...
Ugh dang wall of text! i missed that one line talking about it when i was reading up the powerboost 1000c specs lol