BW screen variant 9 working without mod

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
MathiasRyan

BW screen variant 9 working without mod

Post by MathiasRyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi all

I bought a BW screen from amazon a few months ago. I only got around to seeing if it worked today. I decided to test it first without any modification first. I wired the screen to the pads under the power USB of the Raspberrypi zero. Anyway it worked without any modification. There was some flickering on the screen, it could have been from the bad soldering job I did or maybe the mobile phone adapter I used wasn't up to the job.

https://imgur.com/Z3tWca9

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

TheHappiestBug

Re: BW screen variant 9 working without mod

Post by TheHappiestBug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 am

Yeah, I have one like that. If you have the skill, I would definitely advise modding it anyway, because that's where the flickering is coming from. If you don't feel comfortable modding it, don't worry, because the flickering is pretty easy to get used to.

MathiasRyan

Post by MathiasRyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 am

Cool. I wasn't sure what was causing the flickering. It did stop flickering after a few minutes and I wasn't sure if it was a loose connection. Did you remove the IC completely like Wiki suggests?

TheHappiestBug

Post by TheHappiestBug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:39 pm

No, I just soldered to it but I have a slightly different variant. After soldering all my flickering went away, so I stopped there.

MathiasRyan

Post by MathiasRyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 am

I'm not confident enough with my soldering to solder to the pin. I'm waiting on a battery and PSU. I think I'll try and do a more solid solder once I have that and see what the picture is like. As it stands the flickering stops after a few minutes.
If that doesn't work I'll remove the IC like the wiki suggests.

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am

MathiasRyan wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:54 am
I'm not confident enough with my soldering to solder to the pin. I'm waiting on a battery and PSU. I think I'll try and do a more solid solder once I have that and see what the picture is like. As it stands the flickering stops after a few minutes.
If that doesn't work I'll remove the IC like the wiki suggests.

Just find some old scrap board with ICs on it and practice - the key thing is to clean the pins and apply a good amount of flux to them, then just press a well tinned wire against the pin with the tip of the iron.

...but do practice first on something that doesn't matter!