First GBZ build - USB, audio, and wiring questions

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
retrov

First GBZ build - USB, audio, and wiring questions

Post by retrov » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:36 pm

I have most of the parts I need, and I've just started to modify the case, but I wanted ask a few things here before I went any further. This is the first time I've attempted any sort of project like this, so there's a lot of knowledge that I lack.

1. I accidentally purchased a mini-B USB breakout board (Adafruit's) instead of a micro one. Will that still work with this project, or am I out of luck?

2. I plan on using PWM mono audio with this build. I'm using a generic GBZ PCB that I found on Amazon, so I'm going to have to make a low-pass audio filter. Since I'm going to have a filter, are resistors/ferrite beads necessary on the wires between the headphone jack and speaker, or does one have nothing to do with the other?

3. I have several old USB charging cables of various sizes that I'm chopping up for wires for the project. Most appear to be 24/28 AWG, but one of them has is composed of tiny 30 AWG (possibly?) wires. Will 30 AWG for the data lines in this project?

I love these forums, and all the projects that have sprang out of here. It's very cool and inspiring. I appreciate any help.

rodocop

Re: First GBZ build - USB, audio, and wiring questions

Post by rodocop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 pm

1. Mini usb is fine. You'll just need a mini usb cable to charge.
2.resistors/ferrite/low pass filter may help. I've always skipped those and audio is good enough for me.
3.30awg is fine for data, I'd use 24-26 for power though.

Mario.Semiglia

Re: First GBZ build - USB, audio, and wiring questions

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am

in case your USB hub doesnt work (I had a lot of trouble with it), after trying different ones, I found this one:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/151283344429?_tr ... .S1.R3.TR3

It is the only one that worked for me.
You could also take a look at this post

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2397

in which I have got a lot of helpfull answers...
my USB hub is working perfect now
just that you know, I am newbie trying to help.
Good luck