Please Help - What are my options?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
mattmikemo

Please Help - What are my options?

Post by mattmikemo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

I followed all of the steps for the gameboy zero build. This is my first build so I decided (for some reason) that it would be a good idea to do all of the hardware first and take care of the software last.

I need to connect the pi (I'm using a pi 2) so I can install retro-game and another script. I have already desoldered the ethernet port. I can solder it back on but I only have macbooks with no ethernet ports on them. I could try and borrow a friends laptop but I want that to be last resort.

Wifi Dongle is a no because I think I burned one of the USB connections :roll: and the other one is needed for the keyboard. I don't think you can just drag and drop retrogame on the SD card after the retropie image is burned. What other options do I have for Wifi or internet connection? Thanks!

YaYa

Re: Please Help - What are my options?

Post by YaYa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Why don’t you attach a screen to the HDmI port and a USB keyboard and work your config directly on the Pi itself ?
Follow me on instagram Image

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 am

mattmikemo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm
I followed all of the steps for the gameboy zero build. This is my first build so I decided (for some reason) that it would be a good idea to do all of the hardware first and take care of the software last.

I need to connect the pi (I'm using a pi 2) so I can install retro-game and another script. I have already desoldered the ethernet port. I can solder it back on but I only have macbooks with no ethernet ports on them. I could try and borrow a friends laptop but I want that to be last resort.

Wifi Dongle is a no because I think I burned one of the USB connections :roll: and the other one is needed for the keyboard. I don't think you can just drag and drop retrogame on the SD card after the retropie image is burned. What other options do I have for Wifi or internet connection? Thanks!

firstly, this is a great lesson for all....

NEVER fix anything in until you know its working (especially as people are still hell bent on gluing everything in)
Until your certain that the...
Screen works
Controls work
Audio is working
Power is being supplied properly
Only then start putting everything together, as least then you'll have a better chance at trouble shooting....

now the only options you have are....
connect a USB Hub, if that doesn't work
use another Raspberry Pi to get the software sorted and then just use that SD card
or get someone to install it for you and provide you with an image (IMG) that you can burn to an SD card (you may just have to edit the Retrogame config to match your GPIO)

mattmikemo

Post by mattmikemo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 am
mattmikemo wrote:

firstly, this is a great lesson for all....

NEVER fix anything in until you know its working (especially as people are still hell bent on gluing everything in)
Until your certain that the...
Screen works
Controls work
Audio is working
Power is being supplied properly
Only then start putting everything together, as least then you'll have a better chance at trouble shooting....

now the only options you have are....
connect a USB Hub, if that doesn't work
use another Raspberry Pi to get the software sorted and then just use that SD card
or get someone to install it for you and provide you with an image (IMG) that you can burn to an SD card (you may just have to edit the Retrogame config to match your GPIO)

But if everything runs off the SD card why can't I just install retrogame on my laptop to the SD card using terminal and then put it in the raspberry pi and configure from there?

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 pm

mattmikemo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am
But if everything runs off the SD card why can't I just install retrogame on my laptop to the SD card using terminal and then put it in the raspberry pi and configure from there?
i don't think its that simple.....

the way Retropie is instaledl onto the SD card doesn't allow for it to be run on a PC (especially as its also a Linux based software)....

but i could be wrong.....

what do you mean when you say, on your laptop using terminal.....

mattmikemo

Post by mattmikemo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 pm
mattmikemo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:35 am
i don't think its that simple.....

the way Retropie is instaledl onto the SD card doesn't allow for it to be run on a PC (especially as its also a Linux based software)....

but i could be wrong.....

what do you mean when you say, on your laptop using terminal.....
I mean just running (git clone git://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Retrogame) to the SD card on my laptop, and then configuring it on my pi afterward.

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 pm

mattmikemo wrote:

You can just use a wifi dongle - then SSH into the PI from your mac.
You don't need a keyboard connected as well - as if the pi has connectivity you can SSH into it to configure it however you like.

1) configure your pi to use wifi before you remove the keyboard.
2) unplug the keyboard and plug the wifi dongle to the pi
3) SSH into the pi from your mac

If you do it like this - anytime you need to make changes you can just connect the dongle and ssh in and you are good to go.

mattmikemo

Post by mattmikemo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm

fraggle wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 pm
mattmikemo wrote:

You don't need a keyboard connected as well - as if the pi has connectivity you can SSH into it to configure it however you like.

If you do it like this - anytime you need to make changes you can just connect the dongle and ssh in and you are good to go.
ohh, I see. Thanks!

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 am

mattmikemo wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm
fraggle wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 pm

ohh, I see. Thanks!

that may not work out.....
if you don't have a WiFi dongle connected, you wont have anything to configure (it wont see/find anything to configure)

there is another work around for this (if your connection is WPA)....

full details can be found here
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Wifi

if successful, don't forget you may still need to enable SSH

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:33 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 am

that may not work out.....
if you don't have a WiFi dongle connected, you wont have anything to configure (it wont see/find anything to configure)
You can configure the settings prior to any NIC being present - you don't have to tie connection details to any specific interface.

You just need to add the name of your wireless network (SSID) and your password - for example using wpa_supplicant
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md

Or using retropie's in built method..."Connecting to Wifi Without a Keyboard" as you posted - doesn't require any NIC be present.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... a-keyboard

Linux doesn't work by having to "see" an interface to configure a connection.