Skipping the USB hub?

Hardware-related questions that don't fit into any of the specialized hardware categories go here.
Sandler

Skipping the USB hub?

Post by Sandler » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

My boyfriend and I have been working on our GBZ builds for a while now and we're running into a wall -- for whatever reason, we keep getting USB hubs that don't seem to work. We started by each taking apart a Targus USB hub the way wermy did in his guide, soldering them to our Pi zero w's, and plugging a USB controller into the remaining port. Mine worked and went on to work with the Teensy no problem. His didn't work. We tried redoing all the connections in case there were shorts, including removing it entirely and connecting it to my pi, but it didn't work there, either. We ordered a new hub, stripped it, and tried again but came across the exact same problem. We're both frustrated and looking for another way to finish our builds together. We're not using USB audio and the zero w has built-in bluetooth and wi-fi, so we only need the hubs to hold the teensy and the external USB port. Is there any way to connect both of those to the pi directly? Is it possible to solder one to pads 22/23 and the other to some set of GPIO pins or will that cause interference?

Thank you in advance to anybody who can provide advice!

Eccho

Re: Skipping the USB hub?

Post by Eccho » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 am

As you know, USB hubs have their D+ and D- lines. Meaning that, the same as microSD extensions or PRS's board, you have to:
shorten the data wires
twist them (take the two others with them as well, GND and 5V)
Eventually shield them.

You might have tried these already but the lack of pictures makes it hard for anyone to start looking at what might have gone wrong.
Keep us updated if it worked and what you have changed!

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 435#p37435
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 448#p35448

Cheers.

Sandler

Re: Skipping the USB hub?

Post by Sandler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 pm

I didn't add pictures because I'm not looking for troubleshooting help. I'd just like to know if it's possible to skip the hub and solder both the teensy and the external USB port directly to the Pi.