All in One PCB Support Thread

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by Helder » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 pm

codacious wrote:
your wiring looks fine. You can use alsamixer to set your volume to max ... also you can try to unsolder pwm0 and solder the wire to pwm1 (I'm using this fix for both of my 2.2 boards)
Hey thanks for the reply. I had already maxed out the volume but I will definitely try wiring both wires to pwm1 tonight and see if I get any sound then. Thanks again!
To be positive that the audio circuit is working remove the volume wheel and use 2 small jumper wires connecting RIn to ROut and LIn to LOut. This will eliminate any doubt about the headphone wiring and audio should play, next is hosting is the board being powered? From the pi itself or the powerboost? Are you getting power on the chip using a multimeter to check?
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

codacious

Post by codacious » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm

To be positive that the audio circuit is working remove the volume wheel and use 2 small jumper wires connecting RIn to ROut and LIn to LOut. This will eliminate any doubt about the headphone wiring and audio should play, next is hosting is the board being powered? From the pi itself or the powerboost? Are you getting power on the chip using a multimeter to check?
Thanks for the reply Helder. I did the jumpers as you asked and still zero sound. The board is connected to the power strip which is being fed 5v from the power boost. Should I connect it to the pi instead? Unfortunately my multimeter is out of commission and I haven't gotten a new one yet so I'll have to get back to you on that. If you look back at the first picture I posted of your board, there is a little bead of solder that fell on the chip and looks to have bridged two pins. I wonder if this is the cause? I removed the solder but still no audio. I will update as soon as I am able to test for power.

Edit: I also tried the wiring both wires to pwm1 trick. No dice.

Mischief

Post by Mischief » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:00 am

Mischief wrote:Audio is now sorted for me, I used 4.7 Ohm resistors on the R17 & R18 pads the R15 & R16 pads are still 10 Ohm with 100 Ohm soldered to the right of them then going to the speakers negative side.

I set the volume in alsamixer to the max I could without audio cutout then in each emulator while a game was running I brought up retroarch menu (select and X) and then set the volume for each individual core so I got max volume for each core without choppy audio. Mega drive (genesis) is still the only one that has to run a little lower but is much better and clearer than it was.

Cheers
John
Quick video on how I set the volume for separate cores/emulators/systems, sorry about the common brummie accent :? It is louder in person the phone I am using to record isn't very good at picking up sound.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:59 am

codacious wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm
Thanks for the reply Helder. I did the jumpers as you asked and still zero sound. The board is connected to the power strip which is being fed 5v from the power boost. Should I connect it to the pi instead? Unfortunately my multimeter is out of commission and I haven't gotten a new one yet so I'll have to get back to you on that. If you look back at the first picture I posted of your board, there is a little bead of solder that fell on the chip and looks to have bridged two pins. I wonder if this is the cause? I removed the solder but still no audio. I will update as soon as I am able to test for power.

Edit: I also tried the wiring both wires to pwm1 trick. No dice.
Very likely the reason, that blob is connecting 5v from the chip to one of the outputs which goes through a ferrite bead and a small value cap to ground which in turn might be shorting out the board. You might have fried the amp chip by doing this. Why didn't you remove the blob when you noticed it and then tested it out?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

codacious

Post by codacious » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:59 am

Very likely the reason, that blob is connecting 5v from the chip to one of the outputs which goes through a ferrite bead and a small value cap to ground which in turn might be shorting out the board. You might have fried the amp chip by doing this. Why didn't you remove the blob when you noticed it and then tested it out?
Oh I did remove the solder and test before posting that update. I may have worded my reply wrong. I didn't notice it until after my original post when I was applying your recommended fixes. I believe it is fried! Looks like I'll have to order a new board! Thanks for your help!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Or just order a new chip, you have a hot air gun or a hot air rework station? I can send you a new Chip if you do, just pay the shipping.

Marty33

Post by Marty33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Helder.

I make wiring plans, but i search the utility for the PWM...

I found it's possible to use effect. But, what is "effect" ?

Can you confirm my plans :

For the sound, i think i have no place for the round potentiometer. It's possible to have +/- button, compatible AIO board ?

Big thanks

RetroCadium

Post by RetroCadium » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am

Morning everyone,
Somewhat noob post incoming,
I wired up everything like the first post has, the set up works excepts for the buttons aren't showing any sign of working. You can tell a signal is being sent when the screen dims, because it brightens when you push a button when its been sitting a while, but their functions do not work. I have done this to two AIO boards, what am I messing up? It has to be simple, because I doubt Helder mis-programmed two boards that went to me. I have talked to Helder a little bit but hes way ahead of where I am at. If anyone would like to help me out, please send me a message, so I don't blow this page up with stupid questions. Greatly appreciated, I have been stumped on this damn thing for a good while.
Must haves for your modding needs!
http://www.retrocadium.com

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Maybe send them back to me to do some tests and if it's a programming issue ( not likely on 2 boards but possible) I'll reprogram them or swap them out as long as they aren't physically damaged.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Marty33 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:49 pm
Hello Helder.

I make wiring plans, but i search the utility for the PWM...

I found it's possible to use effect. But, what is "effect" ?

Can you confirm my plans :

For the sound, i think i have no place for the round potentiometer. It's possible to have +/- button, compatible AIO board ?

Big thanks
On the Pi3 you don't need to setup PWM as it already uses it for the output, here is the modified version of your image for audio, and the wiring looks fine. The RED X's you see are to not be connected for the RPI3