3.5 Inch Screen Converting to 5V Help

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
BMO_16

Re: 3.5 Inch Screen Converting to 5V Help

Post by BMO_16 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Joery wrote:
BMO_16 wrote:
nuneberg wrote:Do you use the same powersupply on the screen and the pi?
I don't get your question. I connected the screen red and black wire to the 5v and ground on the pi. I use a micro USB to power the pi from a samsung phone charger which outputs 2 amps. For now, that is how I power the pi as my power booster is not shipped yet.

Aren't the pp1 and pp6 pins on the pi for power input to the pi, not power output to another device as they are on the microusb which you will connect to a power socket... try putting the red 5V wire and black GND wire as indicated in picture below (or on any other pinhole which says 5V or GND, respectively)
Update: I tried the method you mentioned where the red 5v and black GND is on the GPIO. The screen still does the same behavior. I got my power booster in the mail today. I tried connecting the red 5v and black GND to the power booster V+ and V- instead of the Pi. I get the same behavior just as before.The 5v method should work, it feels hot and I tried multiple methods of powering on the screen. I'm going to assume the screen came me to broken and buy another one at this point. :cry:

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Hey man I have the same screen with the same exact issue ? Did you ever resolve it ? Did you end up getting a new screen please get back to me for I am Also thinking of getting another screen

Robochris

Post by Robochris » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm

BMO_16 wrote:
Joery wrote:
BMO_16 wrote: I don't get your question. I connected the screen red and black wire to the 5v and ground on the pi. I use a micro USB to power the pi from a samsung phone charger which outputs 2 amps. For now, that is how I power the pi as my power booster is not shipped yet.

Aren't the pp1 and pp6 pins on the pi for power input to the pi, not power output to another device as they are on the microusb which you will connect to a power socket... try putting the red 5V wire and black GND wire as indicated in picture below (or on any other pinhole which says 5V or GND, respectively)
Update: I tried the method you mentioned where the red 5v and black GND is on the GPIO. The screen still does the same behavior. I got my power booster in the mail today. I tried connecting the red 5v and black GND to the power booster V+ and V- instead of the Pi. I get the same behavior just as before.The 5v method should work, it feels hot and I tried multiple methods of powering on the screen. I'm going to assume the screen came me to broken and buy another one at this point. :cry:

Did this ever work out? I have the same screen but haven't done any modifications yet.

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am

Me too I'm at a hault because of this screen

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Brother I'm having the same exact problem I've tried everything. When you turn it on it is a very very dim screen that just read no signal

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm

You need a signal! The Pi needs to run with config.txt configured to use composite output.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 am

Is this how you guys are hooking this up?

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 am

I have one screen exactly like this one. Had the same problem, and I just discovered that the wire bridge didn't work for me, I did like the picture below and worked fine

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:09 am

I've tried everything that the wiki and the form has suggested i've never heard of anyone changing the video composite from HDMI to Video comp has anyone tired this ?

Brandonmel

Post by Brandonmel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:16 pm

McGyver wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:41 pm
You need a signal! The Pi needs to run with config.txt configured to use composite output.
How do I configure it ? What do I need to change