Multiple 8bitdo controllers

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
hueblo

Multiple 8bitdo controllers

Post by hueblo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:15 am

I finally got my HDMI out to work with my TV after upgrading to the Pie zero W. I have one 8bitdo controller that I use with it but wanted to use a 2nd one for player two. Does anyone use multiple 8bitdo controllers with the GBZ for player 1 and 2? Not sure if I should buy a 2nd one if I can't use two for player 1 and 2.

jermzz

Re: Multiple 8bitdo controllers

Post by jermzz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 pm

yes it works. you have to set the second one as player 2 in each emulator config.

should be the same place you set your first 8bitdo to first plater (it defaults to second iirc)

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:05 am

jermzz wrote:yes it works. you have to set the second one as player 2 in each emulator config.

should be the same place you set your first 8bitdo to first plater (it defaults to second iirc)

By changing the emulator config to use both 8bitdo for player 1/2 will it affect the on board controller when controllers are not connected? does the on board controller default to player 1 again? Do you happen to have a link to a guide? I found a bunch of stuff but it all seems to be older stuff.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't have a guide, I just messed with the settings. Because the teensey is acting as a keyboard, you can have an 8bitdo and the teensey as player1, and the second 8bitdo as player 2. I set mine up this way so when I have it connected to the tv, I can use both 8bitdo controllers, but when I'm done, I just just pick up and go, and the teensey still stays as player 1 without having to mess with the config.

I can pick up the player 1 8bitdo or my GBZ at any time, even in game and they'll both work as player 1

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 pm

jermzz wrote:I don't have a guide, I just messed with the settings. Because the teensey is acting as a keyboard, you can have an 8bitdo and the teensey as player1, and the second 8bitdo as player 2. I set mine up this way so when I have it connected to the tv, I can use both 8bitdo controllers, but when I'm done, I just just pick up and go, and the teensey still stays as player 1 without having to mess with the config.

I can pick up the player 1 8bitdo or my GBZ at any time, even in game and they'll both work as player 1

Thats exactly what I want to do. I have helders AIO, so it would be possible to use the AIO and one 8bitdo as player one? I think they AIO is detected as a Joypad...

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 am

I was able to get my issue resolved by listening to jermzz. When I first connected two 8bitdo controllers they both worked for player 1 and 2. I turned off the both Bluetooth controllers and restarted the GBZ and built in Helder AIO was able to navigate through emulation station but would no longer work with games. So I SSH into the pie and went to /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and changed the value of input_player3_joypad_index = 2 to 0 (because I assumed the AIO was defaulting to player 3) and it worked. This might make it where the 3rd player might not work if you are using a 3rd Bluetooth controller but I'm not worried about that since I'm not going to be playing more than 2 players at a time.

PS. you do have to access root when you first ssh by using the // command.

(look for this code)
# If desired, it is possible to override which joypads are being used for user 1 through 8.
# First joypad available is 0.
# input_player1_joypad_index = 0
# input_player2_joypad_index = 1
# input_player3_joypad_index = 2
# input_player4_joypad_index = 3
# input_player5_joypad_index = 4
# input_player6_joypad_index = 5
# input_player7_joypad_index = 6
# input_player8_joypad_index = 7

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah. That's right. Sorry, I didn't have the config open in front of me, but the GBZ and first 8bitdo as 0 and second as 1