Is the safe shutdown necessary?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
greenols

Is the safe shutdown necessary?

Post by greenols » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm

I have everything important for my GBZ except for a safe shutdown. What is it and is it necessary?

Thanks,
~Greenols

ICMF

Re: Is the safe shutdown necessary?

Post by ICMF » Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 pm

No, it isn't.

You can exit to the Retropie main screen, navigate to the shutdown menu, shut down Retropie, wait ~30 seconds for your Pi to turn off, then cut the power from your battery.

The safe shutdown just automates the process - flick the switch, then the safe shutdown handles everything else - it runs a script that shuts down Retropie, waits for the Pi to power down, then cuts power to the battery.

So no, you don't need it, it just makes it a little more convenient.

greenols

Post by greenols » Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm

ICMF wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 pm
No, it isn't.

You can exit to the Retropie main screen, navigate to the shutdown menu, shut down Retropie, wait ~30 seconds for your Pi to turn off, then cut the power from your battery.

The safe shutdown just automates the process - flick the switch, then the safe shutdown handles everything else - it runs a script that shuts down Retropie, waits for the Pi to power down, then cuts power to the battery.

What would happen if I just flip it off?

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 pm

greenols wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 pm
ICMF wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 pm
No, it isn't.

What would happen if I just flip it off?
Without safely shutting down the system, you could corrupt your SD card. Without a safe shutdown script in place, you would need to return to the home menu (Retropie or other) and choose the option to shut down. The safe shutdown switch and script perform those actions automatically when you flip the power switch off.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

greenols wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm
I have everything important for my GBZ except for a safe shutdown. What is it and is it necessary?

Thanks,
~Greenols
if you want that factory feel (on/off at the slide of a switch) and not worry that you might corrupt your sd card then i would highly recommend cambles devices available on buy/sell/trade (for the price their worth it)

there are other options out there...

http://pie.8bitjunkie.net/retropie-shut ... e-easy-way

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2909&p=31048&hilit= ... own#p31048

but cambles works great, i've got one in mine and really cant complain with the funtionality or build quality and price for that matter (it add value to any build)

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 pm

I am using Cambles Shutdown cirquit and it works well but honestly to say it is not mandatory if you know how to handle your device. After init the software shutdown you should see the screen running several commands. When they are finished just shut off. Maybe wait 5 sec. if you want some safety. My HDMI screen changes to blue screen showing no input or something like that. On this point is ready for shutoff.

Mitaccio

Post by Mitaccio » Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm

I am thinking of using Cambles shutdown but was wondering if it is redundant with Helders AIO battery monitor function?

greenols

Post by greenols » Tue May 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Mitaccio wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm
I am thinking of using Cambles shutdown but was wondering if it is redundant with Helders AIO battery monitor function?
Is the function on the 1.2 board?

Mitaccio

Post by Mitaccio » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 pm

greenols wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:20 pm
Is the function on the 1.2 board?
Not sure if it's for the 1.2. I have the v2.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2889

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Mitaccio wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm
Well, you can run a script that will safely shut down the GBZ when the power draw gets too low, but it will only do so when the voltage gets below that certain point. If you have the battery monitor function and want to shut down the system before you run out of juice, you'll either need to go back to the main menu and shut down Emulation Station manually, or get a safe shut down of some persuasion to do the work for you when you flip the power switch.