Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
sotasystems

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (WIP)

Post by sotasystems » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 am

kite wrote:Did you measure the current consumption of that relay being help on? Would it not be better to just use high value resistors?

For example, if you used a 100k and 300k, the total resistance to ground would be 400k.. if you had a 1000mAh battery, this resistor divider would drain the battery flat in 11 years!! If you had a more modest 3000mAh battery it would drain it in just over 32 years ;)
Good point there. Yeah, it probably is a good idea to use higher value resistors (maybe in the future), I just happened to use what I had quite frankly :oops: :lol: The relay is only held on when the gameboy is turned on, and I still get a runtime of almost 2 hours, so, to be fair, that is no big deal for now.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:52 pm

kite wrote:Did you measure the current consumption of that relay being help on? Would it not be better to just use high value resistors?

For example, if you used a 100k and 300k, the total resistance to ground would be 400k.. if you had a 1000mAh battery, this resistor divider would drain the battery flat in 11 years!! If you had a more modest 3000mAh battery it would drain it in just over 32 years ;)
Thank you. :) I am now using 470k and 100k as resistor values, everything works fine, so I got rid of the relay.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:20 am

Today my button pcb arrived in the mail from kitsch-bent :)

I soldered on my leonardo and glued it all in, and it works perfectly fine.

Then I finaly assembled the gameboy and it is now complete! :D

vnman

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Post by vnman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:47 am

Any chance of putting your guide on programming the Pro Micro in the Guides section?

Thanks

Tok_Tok

Post by Tok_Tok » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks for the sketch, really useful! But I can't get it to work completely.

I've uploaded your sketch to my Micro pro and hooked up an analog stick from a gamecube controller but the in the game controller software in windows the cursor is shaking constantly. Also it won't go to the left upper and right lower corner. Do you know why this is?

To be clear, the cross will go to the right upper and left lower corner. Somehow it does not register the Y axis.

Edit: changing the values removed shaking a bit.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:50 am

vnman wrote:Any chance of putting your guide on programming the Pro Micro in the Guides section?

Thanks
This is a great idea. Yes, I should do that. :)

Edit: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1766
Last edited by sotasystems on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 am

Tok_Tok wrote:Thanks for the sketch, really useful! But I can't get it to work completely.

I've uploaded your sketch to my Micro pro and hooked up an analog stick from a gamecube controller but the in the game controller software in windows the cursor is shaking constantly. Also it won't go to the left upper and right lower corner. Do you know why this is?

To be clear, the cross will go to the right upper and left lower corner. Somehow it does not register the Y axis.

Edit: changing the values removed shaking a bit.
Can you describe how you have the analog stick hooked up?

My suggestion is that the stick you are using has different readings/different resistance than a PSP 1000 analog stick like I have used.

It is relatively simple to fix this though, you connect your stick to the arduino like you would, send the values you read from there out with
Serial.println(xValue);
(or x1Value / x2Value / y1Value / y2Value)

Open a serial monitor and move the stick to as far left / right / up / down as possible. The reading you get when you move it to the left for example then is the new value for your first X (Currently 400). The reading you get when you move it to the right is then your new value for the second X (currently -400). Repeat the same steps with the Y Axis and it should be OK.

Tok_Tok

Post by Tok_Tok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Thank you for responding.

I did as you said and it registers the x axis as well as the y axis in the serial monitor. I filled in the numbers i got from there and the stuttering is much less now. But when I test it in windows the cross in the test still won't go to the upper left and lower right corner.. I switched the the wires of the analog stick with A1 and A0 but that didn't help. I know I wired it right because when I control my mouse in windows with it, it works fine. So maybe it's a windows thing, I will try and test it when my housing is finished.

I'm building this if you're interested:

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Tok_Tok wrote:Thank you for responding.

I did as you said and it registers the x axis as well as the y axis in the serial monitor. I filled in the numbers i got from there and the stuttering is much less now. But when I test it in windows the cross in the test still won't go to the upper left and lower right corner.. I switched the the wires of the analog stick with A1 and A0 but that didn't help. I know I wired it right because when I control my mouse in windows with it, it works fine. So maybe it's a windows thing, I will try and test it when my housing is finished.

I'm building this if you're interested:

This looks awesome! :shock:

Also, if you mean that it doesn't go right into the corners like a square and more like a circle, then yes, this is how it is in windows. It works absolutely fine in retropie though. ;)

Tok_Tok

Post by Tok_Tok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Ah windows :?

But good to know, then I'm done with the electronics. The case is being resin printed as we speak and I got all the parts to finish it so I hope it'll be ready soon! :D