Hyperspin Cabinet (Paused) Gameboy Zero (Go)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
dyldebus

Hyperspin Cabinet (Paused) Gameboy Zero (Go)

Post by dyldebus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I've been working on a full custom Hyperspin cabinet for awhile now. After having a baby recently I needed an indoor project and was super stoked on the GBZ. I'm through guide 5 and can't wait for the final. Here is some pics of my Time-Out (arcade I grew up in) build and my GBZ running Quake 3.
Arcade01.jpg
Arcade01.jpg (461.73 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Arcade02.jpg
Arcade02.jpg (419.32 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Arcade03.jpg
Arcade03.jpg (480.17 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Arcade04.jpg
Arcade04.jpg (266.82 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
All buttons and trackball are RGB LED using LED Blinky to change color pattern and only light up the buttons used for that particular game.
Arcade05.jpg
Arcade05.jpg (339.9 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Arcade06.jpg
Arcade06.jpg (476.68 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
I built the control panel with slight angles to allow 4 people to stand around a very small area and not hit elbows. (small house, no room for massive "Wing" panel)
Gameboy.jpg
Gameboy.jpg (287.08 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
I don't LOVE the ADA screen. After seeing somebody on the forums use the 640x480 Ebay screen I may have to do another build and give this one to my little brother :)

-Dylan

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Hyperspin Cabinet (Paused) Gameboy Zero (Go)

Post by wermy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Awesome! Your GBZ is looking great, and I love the arcade cabinet. :)

Are you referring to just the clarity/quality of the Adafruit screen? Because it's actually better than most of the backup camera ones I've tried. :\ You may want to check out @Kite's build thread -- they have been working on driving an LCD directly without a controller board/composite connection, making it crystal clear and with up to 120Hz refresh rate.

Congrats on the baby, too! Hope all is well with that -- our youngest is just on the verge of walking. :)
ImageImageImageImage

dyldebus

Post by dyldebus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks Wermy. Yep, first baby - A girl to our surprise :shock: I'm stoked for her to begin walking, and building!

I guess I'm not so disappointed with the screen during gameplay but rather the menus in Retropie. They are tough to read. After seeing somebody post Mario with very legible text on screen I'd wished I had sprung for the $80 640x480.

Do you know of any Retropie themes designed for low res?

Thanks,
Dylan

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:25 pm

dyldebus wrote:Thanks Wermy. Yep, first baby - A girl to our surprise :shock: I'm stoked for her to begin walking, and building!

I guess I'm not so disappointed with the screen during gameplay but rather the menus in Retropie. They are tough to read. After seeing somebody post Mario with very legible text on screen I'd wished I had sprung for the $80 640x480.

Do you know of any Retropie themes designed for low res?

Thanks,
Dylan
That's awesome. My older two (oldest is 4) love my bartop cabinet. The stick makes it easier to control and they love "puckman" as they call him. :D

I'm not sure about themes, I've only ever used the default one. I know you can adjust the font size within RetroPie/Emulationstation pretty easily though: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=159

That definitely helps.
ImageImageImageImage