Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
sotasystems

Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Post by sotasystems » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:44 am

Since I got loads of private messages on this, if you are planning on using a Leonardo Pro Micro for your gameboy build with PSP 1000 analog sticks, feel free to also check out this guide: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1766

I'd like to thank my buddy who lives with me for helping me out on quite a bit on the casing and advicing.

Then I'd also like to thank [mention]kite[/mention] for his support on my battery monitor.

Credits to [mention]helder[/mention] and [mention]wermy[/mention] for their ideas and existing products which I very basic reproduced (I always wanted to order an AIO from [mention]helder[/mention], but never gotten the chance to as everytime I checked it went out of stock :lol:)

I had a lot of fun building this project and gathered quite a bit of experience, and that is what counts, right? :)
The end product is not "perfect", but in no way was it ever meant to be.

Here are pcitures of the finished result:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original posts starting from here ->

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing all parts of [mention]Wermy[/mention]'s video guides I fell in love with the end result and decided to make my own, though I want to make it a little individual.

Now, I am not going to modify an existing Game Boy. I am going to start from scratch with an aftermarket case in transparent blue, like this one here:

• - Instead of using an RPi Zero, I want to actualy use an RPi 3 for more capabilities such as more compute power, wifi and bluetooth etc. which I have sucessfully modified in order to fit into an actual gameboy (desoldered pretty much every IO except for µUSB)
Also, for some reason, some of my friends thought that the desoldered topside looked like ripped off pads. :roll:
Just to clarify things, they are 100 % intact. What you are seeing is the pure copper, and yes, there was no solder/not much solder on them, that is the reason they look sort of brown-ish instead of silver like solder would.
On the underside of the board, you see that things do look different.

To make sure it still works, I attached the Pi to my TV via composite over those pins (Audio and Video, pads marked in red circles) and my PC also discovers it over WiFi (\\retropie)

Now, I took my girlfriends existing gameboy apart (which I won't sacrifice for this project) to see how well the Pi could fit inside, and it didn't look like it's going to give me trouble, but we'll see about that in the future :lol:
  • - Having two analog sticks from a PSP 1000 inside to use other/more emulators (e.g. N64, PSP of course)

- Instead of just having L and R buttons, I am going to add L1, L2, R1 and R2 so that you can for example play PS1 games.
Here is all the parts listed I am going to use for this project:
Now, I first have to order these and wait for them to arrive, but I will keep you updated! :)
UPDATE: Everything has arrived. :)

[spoiler="Parts list"][/spoiler]

Also I made a little (and very rubbish) "concept" of what it could look like in photoshop ^^'':

(Front only for now)
Also, the analog stick's positions aren't definite right now, but I grabbed my gameboy and imagined analog sticks to be there and then I came up with the center and a little higher than the left bottom to be comfortable spots.
The 4 raspberries only showcase it to be an RPi with 4 CPU's, in this case an RPi 3.
Last edited by sotasystems on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:10 am, edited 36 times in total.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

sotasystems

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (WIP)

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 am

Ok, so I started putting my analog sticks in place to check out how they would 'feel' when they are inside the gameboy

First, I started by drilling a small hole in the center of the gameboy case and the center of the D-Pad like so:

Then I slowly made the hole bigger till I had my desired size (I used a 10mm drill):

Then test-fitted the analog stick inside (not glued in):

I was satisfied, so I did the same for the bottom left:

And here you can see how you're supposed to hold it:

(It kind of reminds me of holding an Nintendo 64 controller)
And the spots turned out to be comfortable as I suggested in my first post! (:
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Zero

Post by Zero » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:41 am

A good start there. I bought a clear case as well a while ago and I've been trying to think of ideas to make it look nice through the casing before I start on it. Thinking of just using 2 different coloured wire but have a feeling it would need to be really neat to look good. I also like plain unpopulated circuit boards so your stripped down pi should look good through your housing.

hme53

Post by hme53 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 am

How long did it take completely strip down the pi3

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 am

hme53 wrote:How long did it take completely strip down the pi3
I didn't really look at the time, but I am guessing maybe 1 or maybe even 2 hours

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 am

but why 2 sticks??
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:09 am

CaptainDurden wrote:but why 2 sticks??
Well, I personaly wanted 2 because I am used to use the left one as main 'walking' stick (e.g. Ocarina of time), and the other one as C-Stick similar to the Nintendo Gamecube. (:

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 am

So, my friend helped me a little with cutting out the bezel for the display, the USB charging port and the battery compartment

The USB-Mini breakout I had didn't fit by default, so I had to trim it:

Since the VCC pin was out of where I needed it and was cut off, I decided to take my glass-fibre pen and remove the PCB's protective film, so the pure copper is exposed. I then cut off the data pins because I don't actualy need that and I'm going to solder a bridge to VCC and GND there for easier access.

Also, the Tetris cartridge is literaly so brittle that it is hard to handle it and it breaks really easily, but oh well. It's just used to cover up anyways and you only really need to see the front side, so it is ok:

Also, here my friend helped me ALOT with the bezel and the port (Thanks mate! :D):

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:49 am

The screen and a few other small things came in today, and I wanted to test it out, so I soldered the wires to the coressponding PP's on the Pi:

The screen won't work on 5V out of the box, so I had to solder a bridge to VCC and the power regulator IC, and now it works like a charm :) :

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:05 am

I temporarily soldered in an usb-port to my pi and tested it with my PS3 controller and Ocarina of Time on Nintendo 64 :)