Camble's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Camble

Camble's GBZ

Post by Camble » Sun May 22, 2016 8:56 am

Alright, it looks like I finally have enough parts to start a build thread. I'd been waiting on my screen and a few other pieces so have mainly been working on the Gameboy case.

I plan to make my GBZ look as close to the original Gameboy as possible. Aside from the glaringly obvious full colour screen, at first glance it should hopefully look just like an original Gameboy, a sleeper GBZ if you will. :)

Planned features: Components: Extras: I managed to source a DMG-01 with missing LCD lines and a corroded battery compartment, so I split the case and cleaned everything thoroughly.

Inside I'm using the existing cartridge slot, and will be retaining the battery compartment mostly intact.

Here's the first cut of the screen window. I plan to make a screen protector with a grey border to hide the unused portion of the LCD.

A quick mock-up to see what things will look like.

Here's where things start to go a little wrong. I cut these holes one day before my 4-button PCB arrived. A second faulty Gameboy is on its way. My plan for this case is to hack up the original PCB and add some buttons for a second GBZ, but that can wait for now.
Last edited by Camble on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:17 am, edited 11 times in total.

DirtyBullets

Re: Camble's GBZ

Post by DirtyBullets » Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 am

Liking it so far nice and clean. :geek:

Camble

Post by Camble » Sun May 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Today I mocked up the location of the boards in the case and I soldered a smaller gauge ribbon cable onto the Teensy.
[spoiler="Mock-up and Teensy"]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I want to make use of the HDMI port, or at least have the option available. Because I want to keep the battery compartment intact, I've had to remove the micro USB power connection from the Pi. :shock:

I also tested out my new display, and got it working on 5v.
Last edited by Camble on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Wed May 25, 2016 3:33 am

Great work ! I like how it's clean :mrgreen:

Max

Post by Max » Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 am

Nice, it's really clean ! Keep it up :)

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed May 25, 2016 7:59 am

Camble wrote:Here's where things start to go a little wrong. I cut these holes one day before my 4-button PCB arrived. A second faulty Gameboy is on its way. My plan for this case is to hack up the original PCB and add some buttons for a second GBZ, but that can wait for now.
How about saving this one and, if you are okay with cutting and drilling your new PCB, doing it as [mention]banjokazooie[/mention] did.
Just drill out those button pads that are not placed quite right and move them?

Should be no problem with those clean PCBs, if you are willing to tinker with it.

Edit: I also got a spare PCB Board i created myself, where you can easily move the 2 new buttons, if you want to keep your PCB intact.
Just don't waste this good old GB Case :)

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed May 25, 2016 8:44 am

Fleder wrote: How about saving this one and, if you are okay with cutting and drilling your new PCB, doing it as [mention]banjokazooie[/mention] did.
Just drill out those button pads that are not placed quite right and move them?
Should be no problem with those clean PCBs, if you are willing to tinker with it.
Edit: I also got a spare PCB Board i created myself, where you can easily move the 2 new buttons, if you want to keep your PCB intact.
Just don't waste this good old GB Case :)
Good idea Fleder, but I wouldn't want to alter the new PCBs. I will probably do this with the original gameboy PCB though. Luckily I was considering making a second GBZ anyway!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 am

Camble wrote:I want to make use of the HDMI port, or at least have the option available. Because I want to keep the battery compartment intact, I've had to remove the micro USB power connection from the Pi. :shock:
[spoiler="img"]Image[/spoiler]
How do you go about doing this? Are those big silver holes the solder points? I want HDMI as well but need to remove the micro usb point anyway to make more space between the boards.

Camble

Post by Camble » Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 am

Ganreizu wrote:
Camble wrote:I want to make use of the HDMI port, or at least have the option available. Because I want to keep the battery compartment intact, I've had to remove the micro USB power connection from the Pi. :shock:
[spoiler="img"]Image[/spoiler]
How do you go about doing this? Are those big silver holes the solder points? I want HDMI as well but need to remove the micro usb point anyway to make more space between the boards.
If I had a heat gun it would have been a piece of cake, but honestly... I wedged my soldering iron into the port with a small amount of solder to let it flow to the contacts. It was messy and the tracks came with it, but luckily it still works. You can actually see where the tracks were on the board in that picture.

Camble

Post by Camble » Fri May 27, 2016 10:35 am

Yesterday I set up audio output on the Pi and repurposed the existing headphone jack PCB. A couple of traces needed to be cut and modified on the back side.