New Mini USB hub for the RPI0 also provides Wifi

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

New Mini USB hub for the RPI0 also provides Wifi

Post by Popcorn » Thu May 12, 2016 11:07 am

I just saw this article and thought some of you might find this interesting. The footprint looks really small too!

Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/raspberry- ... 0-05-2016/

crispy_tofu

Re: New Mini USB hub for the RPI0 also provides Wifi

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 pm

This definitely looks interesting, hopefully the Kickstarter succeeds unlike an unnamed $100 3D printer... :roll: :D

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri May 13, 2016 12:01 am

This really could save some space. If you could wire it onto the RPi0, too, you would have great flexibility.
Nice find!

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 pm

Fleder wrote:This really could save some space. If you could wire it onto the RPi0, too, you would have great flexibility.
Nice find!
It's possible, just solder wires instead of mounting it with the spring connectors.

Thinking of backing this but not sure

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 am

Robvp wrote:
Fleder wrote:This really could save some space. If you could wire it onto the RPi0, too, you would have great flexibility.
Nice find!
My only beef with this is that the rpi0 is now forced to go somewhere where you can access the usb hub. What good is a hub if it isn't convenient?

Super cool concept though. If you went ahead and wired this, you could put it wherever you wanted too.

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Mon May 16, 2016 8:26 am

Kilren wrote:
Robvp wrote:
Nice find!
My only beef with this is that the rpi0 is now forced to go somewhere where you can access the usb hub. What good is a hub if it isn't convenient?

Super cool concept though. If you went ahead and wired this, you could put it wherever you wanted too.
You could solder some wires in the leads instead of using the spring contacts that require the mounting, that way you can place it wherever you want

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 am

When he talks about a bluetooth connectivity with third usb port. When I add bluetooth to it how would I connect lets say wireless headphones to it because in emulation station I wouldnt have an area to sync? I wouldnt do it as the headphone jack would suffice and use a lot less juice but just wondering.

3y3c0ugh

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 am

Thatbraziliann wrote:When he talks about a bluetooth connectivity with third usb port. When I add bluetooth to it how would I connect lets say wireless headphones to it because in emulation station I wouldnt have an area to sync? I wouldnt do it as the headphone jack would suffice and use a lot less juice but just wondering.
There is an area in Emulation Station to connect to bluetooth devices. When scrolling through the Emulators there is one called RetroPie. It has all the setting in there, the second option down is for Bluetooth so you can register/pair connections. Also, the RetroPie SD card image is still a lite version of jessie. This means you can just plug a keyboard into your pi0, and hit Alt-F4 to close emulation station and use the CLI to setup any config files for wifi or bluetooth or even retropie controllers configs.
My Website Main Page | MAME Section of my Site | 3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."