[POLL/IDEA] GBA/GBC Pi(Zero/3)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!

Which system would you prefer a mod of?

GBA
67%
GBC
33%

Total votes: 51

TRed79

[POLL/IDEA] GBA/GBC Pi(Zero/3)

Post by TRed79 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 am

Hi All,

I want to preface this post with the fact that I am very very limited on my electronics knowledge, my degree that I have one year left on is in chemical engineering, but I do work IT part time for a hospital so I have some computer/electronics knowledge and I promise if I don't understand something I'll research it until I do.

Now with that being said I have been talking to Helder, the creator of the all in one PCB for the GBZ (http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1034), these past couple days to see if he could create an all in one board for either a GBA or a GBC, preferably a GBA but we were not sure about the limited space it offers compared to a GBC or especially an original GB like the GBZ is based off of. He said he would be willing to take a look and do a lot of the design work for the board if people showed enough interest in it since designing a board is well out of the scope of my skills, so I am wondering if any of you all would have interest in a GBA or GBC mod with either a Zero or a Pi3.

Now as far as the Zero or a Pi3 this is a very recent development because Helder sent me a link to a demo video of this project (https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/91/pisp-pocket/2) which uses a GBP and puts an X and Y, 4 "triggers", and two analog sticks onto it, plus it uses a Pi3 instead of a Zero. I like was wondering how he fit a Pi3 into such a small case, he explains that he went off an older design (http://www.xodustech.com/projects/raspb ... boy-pocket) of using the Pi3 by "dismantling" it, making it appear to just simply be a larger Zero. If at all possible I would like to go this route on which ever system we choose to mod, I might even try to make a GBZ with one instead of a Zero, but I understand if it presents complications or difficulties that don't make the added performance worth it.

Finally we would like suggestions on parts. I am wanting to try and use the same 3.5" screen used in the GBZ but again we are not sure if it will fit in a GBA case considering the limited space, if not I know Adafruit carries some 2.8" screens we might be able to use. Also what battery should we use, or if we can use the same one as the Pi3, and finally, should we use a cartridge for storage like the GBZ and if so how and can we do it with a GBA cartridge so we aren't using an original GB one and have to have it sticking out of the GBA.

Respectfully,
TRed79

TL;DR Would anyone be interested in a GBA or GBC mod, if so which? Does anyone foresee complications with dismantling a Pi3 and using it as a Zero or should we just continue to use the Zero? And if anyone has any suggestions for parts (ie. screen, battery, or if we should use a cartridge like on the GBZ) please, fire at will.

grenade44

Re: [POLL/IDEA] GBA/GBC Pi(Zero/3)

Post by grenade44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:20 am

I'm looking at doing a GBA, and using a 2.8 or 3.0 screen. Waiting on my fault GBA to arrive.

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:50 am

Hey man, this is a great idea, I have two gba and I really want to transform it into a gbz. I have no experience into electronics but Im starting to get really interessested because of this project. If you have any information please share it with me.
I think it is for shure much more easier to do this proyect with the rpz and not the 3 (or thats the solution i would take)... and i dont know if its a very stupid idea (cause my lack of knowledge) to breadge all conections of the gba to the rpz and like that make it functionable.
I hope this reply isnt sooo stupid. I just wanted to show interess in the project

All best
Mario

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 am

Have people seen the http://www.gamepieadvance.com? I'm currently building one with one of there kits. So far the results are very good. Will post pictures later.

Arnaudsoma

Post by Arnaudsoma » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:57 am

Hello,

I'm a French beginner in this adventure, and I'm interest of the GBZ mod from Sudomod by Wermy, but I want to putt in the GB Advance case. It's would be easier to play on with the triggers from the GBA.

So I'll be happy to share my project with you (especially withTred79). I'm only at the buying step for now, I'm waiting for the GBA case and other smalls parts. I already have my Raspberry Pi Zero with all the staff...

I have some questions for you :
-because the GBZ mod from Wermy use a 3.5'' screen, I don't know if it's fit in a GB Advance case. Did you already try it ?? Do you have any photos ??
Cause I don't know which screen I have to buy, I don't have the GBA case (so no lengh & hight screen's). Can you give me a picture of the GBA case open with a ruller beside it ?? Or if you great, some mesuring/ dimension of the case ?
And maybe with cutting little part of plastic case, we can putt the 3.5 screen in it. What do you think about??

-I'm aware of the Helder's board GBZ ALL IN ONE for the GB-DMG. I was asking myself if we could make the same, but for our GBA !!
I don't know if Helder is "open minded" to share there schematic electric circuits for us to make the same fitting in our GBA case. If somebody have already, please tell me :)
Why not giving at Helder after development the delivery exclusiveness. After all, it's his board...
And as the screen, I don't have mesures/dimensions of the case, so I can't begin the design of the circuit :/
It will be good to share work, and maybe make many of this circuits, in order to sell/distribute it to others interested users.

I saw the http://gamepieadvance.com/ project and his GB Advance Zero Pi. This guy sell what we want, but at a very very expensive price !!! (look the website, and his Ebay staff...) I know all of this is many hours of work, but many of us wanted to made Pi zero GBA for low money, and my goal is not to do money (for now... ^^).

So I wanted to do the same circuit board, but with SMD components to have more space in the case. Also his mod use lithium simple battery, instead we want to use lithium polymer battery

I'm waiting for news, and I'm ready to made awesome work !!

See ya !!

Arnaudsoma

Post by Arnaudsoma » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:34 am

grenade44 wrote:Have people seen the http://www.gamepieadvance.com? I'm currently building one with one of there kits. So far the results are very good. Will post pictures later.
Hi,
As you buy the electronic board, can you share pictures of this board? It'll help us for our work.

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:50 am

Since you have limited electronic experience, I would say start with a GBZ first. Once you get the understanding and want to experiment more, you could build a GBA or GBC. With the GBA and GBC, it has a lot of space issues and things to figure out. The GBZ has tons of space and allows you to figure out what components you need vs. want.
Builder and tinkerer

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:05 am

Arnaudsoma wrote:
grenade44 wrote:Have people seen the http://www.gamepieadvance.com? I'm currently building one with one of there kits. So far the results are very good. Will post pictures later.
Hi,
As you buy the electronic board, can you share pictures of this board? It'll help us for our work.
There's loads of pictures on my website. http://www.pitendo.co.uk

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:09 am

Arnaudsoma wrote:
I saw the http://gamepieadvance.com/ project and his GB Advance Zero Pi. This guy sell what we want, but at a very very expensive price !!! (look the website, and his Ebay staff...) I know all of this is many hours of work, but many of us wanted to made Pi zero GBA for low money, and my goal is not to do money (for now... ^^).
$80 isn't alot and includes everything you need minus the shell. thats alot cheaper than what I've spent on the GBZ.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 am

I'd love to do a GBA version, but I'd have to work out a way to fit X & Y buttons before I did it. SNES games are pretty important to me.
Image Image