DS Lite Pi Zero

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Racerboy

DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Racerboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I chose the DS Lite out of the others because I believe that the 3DS and DSi shells (even the XL) are thinner than the DS Lite, which would make it a lot harder. And the original DS wasn't exactly the best looking :lol:

Basically my thinking is, it would be impossible to keep the display in the bottom, so that would have to go. The speakers and display would be in the top half, everything else down below. What I think is pretty cool is that you could even keep the original screen protector in the bottom, so you could look in and see the Pi Zero at work (if it looked pretty in there :D) The amplifier and low-pass filter might fit up top as well? In any case, you probably want to limit the amount of wires that go through the hinge to as little as possible.

The hardest part about this project aside from the limited space in the bottom, would be routing wires through that hinge (for both speakers and the display). Maybe the display's ribbon cable could be routed through a slit in the hinge, then tied down to the control board in the bottom half. I doubt the display board would fit in the top half, it's pretty thin up there.

Not that there is much room in this shell anyway, but it would be cool if the original cartridge slot right underneath the hinge could still be used to insert an SD or micro-SD card and wire that up to the Pi Zero. Just food for thought.

Battery placement would be very limited, but perhaps the original 3.7v one might not be a bad option at 2000mAh. It sits beneath the D-Pad.

Case
  • Length: 133 mm (5.2 in)
    Width: 73.9 mm (2.91 in)
    Height: 21.87 mm (0.861 in)
Display is 3.12"

PICTURES
[spoiler="Replacement Shell"]Image
Image[/spoiler]
For those interested, you can purchase a replacement shell from eBay, such as this one direct from china, which seems to include everything you'd need.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this potential headache of a project. :)
Last edited by Racerboy on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grenade44

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero - Mod Discussion

Post by grenade44 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I was think about doing something like this http://anthonythomas.io/tag/gba-macro/ but have been wondering on space. Do you think it's possible?

uke

Post by uke » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Seeing the replacement case makes me want to build one with only the bottom part, wouldn't it be cool? Shame that huge hinge...

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:02 pm

grenade44 wrote:I was think about doing something like this http://anthonythomas.io/tag/gba-macro/ but have been wondering on space. Do you think it's possible?
Not sure, I think it would still be pretty tough...but what do I know :D I'm going to probably order either a DS Lite replacement shell or a used DS Lite just to see if this project could work.
uke wrote:Seeing the replacement case makes me want to build one with only the bottom part, wouldn't it be cool? Shame that huge hinge...
Yeah, you pretty much need the top half due to space, but I try to imagine this project with the clear screen protector still in tact on the bottom part showing off the pi zero and other components :D

grenade44

Post by grenade44 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Racerboy wrote:
grenade44 wrote:I was think about doing something like this http://anthonythomas.io/tag/gba-macro/ but have been wondering on space. Do you think it's possible?
Not sure, I think it would still be pretty tough...but what do I know :D I'm going to probably order either a DS Lite replacement shell or a used DS Lite just to see if this project could work.

These look great and I do wonder if it possible to do it with RP0. I think your right that there won't be enough space. How do you plan to do the buttons? I think you needs a logicboard.

How many projects have you got going? GBA, GBZ, WII U and now the DS? Lol

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm

grenade44 wrote: These look great and I do wonder if it possible to do it with RP0. I think your right that there won't be enough space. How do you plan to do the buttons? I think you needs a logicboard.

How many projects have you got going? GBA, GBZ, WII U and now the DS? Lol
Haha, not enough to please my imagination apparently! I was never working on a GBZ if that helps, and am considering selling my GBA even though it's near completion. :|

I was thinking either throw a teensy in there or just use GPIO. Not sure, depends if you want bluetooth/wifi out of it, then you'd have to use GPIO since there's hardly any room for a USB hub.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:42 am

Got the shell in today....it has a surprising amount of potential for space, keeping the original battery holder will work perfectly. Will definitely need to order a motherboard and tap into the controls for that, but if I can figure out a way to route the ribbon cable through that hinge, this project could be completely plausible.

PICTURES
[spoiler="Pi Zero in DS Lite"]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I even stuck in a Pi 2 just for kicks to see if it would fit, and by golly...it would be tight but I swear it could work haha.

PICTURES
[spoiler="Pi 2 in DS Lite"]Image

Image[/spoiler]
In both cases, there is plenty of space underneath the Pi to put a Teensy, Amplifier, etc. The only hard part will be fitting the display board somewhere. I'll keep this updated as I go along with it, definitely sticking with the Pi Zero though as it will be much cleaner :D
Last edited by Racerboy on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:50 am

Would it be possible to have the dual screen ? :)

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 am

SidSilver wrote:Would it be possible to have the dual screen ? :)
I highly doubt it haha, not sure how that could be utilized by RetroPie either, especially seeing how the Pi Zero can't handle DS games. There just isn't room for it either. I think a clear window will suffice for looks :D

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Stuck the display in today, fits like a charm! :D

I had to trim around the edges a bit but no big deal. It fits perfectly between the two speaker housings.

PICTURES
[spoiler="3.5 inch Display in DS Lite"]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Parts ordered:
New Conductive Rubber Button Pad Set Replacement Part For Nintendo DS Lite NDSL
2pcs Inner Loud Buzzer Speaker Replacement Repair Part For Nintendo DS Lite NDSL
New Battery 2000mAh + Tool for Nintendo NDS DS Lite NDSL DSL

Parts yet to be ordered:
Working Original (OEM) Nintendo DS Lite USG-001 C-USG-CPU-10 Motherboard CPU
2x Hinge Axle Fix Repair Kit Replacement for Nintendo DS Lite NDSL