DS Lite Pi Zero

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
User avatar
Racerboy
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Racerboy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Got the motherboard and battery in! Here's some pictures, layer-by-layer of the assembly.

PICTURES
[spoiler="Motherboard and other boards in DS Lite"]Image

Image

Image

Image[/spoiler]
The space above the Pi Zero is all I have for the display board, so we'll see :)


Also, I measured the speakers to have an impedance of about 6 ohms each, anyone know what I should set the Gain to on the amp?
Colorado State University - Mechanical/Controls Engineer

RMwashere
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by RMwashere » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:46 pm

*bump* How is this project coming along?

User avatar
Racerboy
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Racerboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:28 pm

RMwashere wrote:*bump* How is this project coming along?
Thanks for showing interest!

While I've been busy with school I have found some time recently to pick away at parts of it. I got the stereo audio working today, and it sounds great through the stock DS Lite speakers aside from the static that comes through EmulationStation is quite noticeable (using an 18dB gain on the amp).

I still have controls to hook up and test, and hopefully I can figure out the display driver board setup for it ( @kite ?)

I'd post more pictures but it's basically just me testing the audio and controls right now! I did get some new batteries in though so I'll post some pictures of the placement of them and what the final layout will look like. I've decided to abandon the stock battery idea. It was not holding as good of a charge as I thought.
Colorado State University - Mechanical/Controls Engineer

Rolen47
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:41 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Rolen47 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:56 am


SidSilver
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 6:22 am
Location: France
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by SidSilver » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:53 am

Rolen47 wrote:This guy made one, maybe his pictures will give you some ideas:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phenakite/

He also has some videos of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyEXE84avs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt6EPv-1ay0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbgfL-NHSk
Awesome ! :shock:

Davod
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Davod » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 am

:D I was thinking the same thing and then I discovered this post I'm so happy someone else is doing it before I am let me know how it all works out I would be super stoked if you manage to fit decent/good quality dac in as well to be honest I'm excited to see the next follow up post I hope everything fits well

AdamShepherdUK
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:02 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero - Mod Discussion

Post by AdamShepherdUK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Racerboy wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:21 pm
Stuck the display in today, fits like a charm! :D

I had to trim around the edges a bit but no big deal. It fits perfectly between the two speaker housings.

PICTURES
3.5 inch Display in DS LiteShow
Image

Image

Image
What screen is that/where can I get one? Currently working on this exact project!

User avatar
Racerboy
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by Racerboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Davod wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:52 am
:D I was thinking the same thing and then I discovered this post I'm so happy someone else is doing it before I am let me know how it all works out I would be super stoked if you manage to fit decent/good quality dac in as well to be honest I'm excited to see the next follow up post I hope everything fits well
I'll try to get some time to work on it over the summer! It's definitely a do-able project, I just need the time to dedicate to it. The only issue will be routing the ribbon cable on the display through the hinge on the DS Lite, and it will probably have to be exposed on the outside.
AdamShepherdUK wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm
What screen is that/where can I get one? Currently working on this exact project!
It's just one of those standard 3.5" screens you can get from Adafruit for a lot of money, or pull one from a backup camera on Amazon, as shown in this thread. Let me know how yours goes!

Here's some pictures I forgot to upload. I gave up on using the original battery, as it did not hold a charge very well.

Image
Colorado State University - Mechanical/Controls Engineer

AdamShepherdUK
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:02 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by AdamShepherdUK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:58 am

Racerboy wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 pm
AdamShepherdUK wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm
What screen is that/where can I get one? Currently working on this exact project!
It's just one of those standard 3.5" screens you can get from Adafruit for a lot of money, or pull one from a backup camera on Amazon, as shown in this thread. Let me know how yours goes!
http://www.buydisplay.com/default/3-5-i ... lq035nc111 - This one would work, right?

What else would I need to the screen in terms of connectors/control boards? This is my first build, so I'm sorta flying blind regarding the display.

AdamShepherdUK
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:02 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: DS Lite Pi Zero

Post by AdamShepherdUK » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:16 am

AdamShepherdUK wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:58 am
Racerboy wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:24 pm
AdamShepherdUK wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm
What screen is that/where can I get one? Currently working on this exact project!
It's just one of those standard 3.5" screens you can get from Adafruit for a lot of money, or pull one from a backup camera on Amazon, as shown in this thread. Let me know how yours goes!
http://www.buydisplay.com/default/3-5-i ... lq035nc111 - This one would work, right?

What else would I need to the screen in terms of connectors/control boards? This is my first build, so I'm sorta flying blind regarding the display.
Or would this be better? https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... ouchscreen

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest