Modding a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Kiki

Modding a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

Post by Kiki » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 am

Hey, guys

First off, I want to say if I'm not in the right place for this I would very much appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'm new to DIY projects, and after watching a few of Sudomods I believe that his community would be a good place to look for help.

I'm more or less looking to get emulate and improve upon the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller tactile button mod in this video, as well as get clarity on some things. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/aoQyVtwZdEA

It seems like a pretty straight forward process, however this video isn't really a step by step guide or demonstration. While he lists off everything that he uses and does, there's a lot of the process we do not see. After looking through his Twitch channel, I do not believe the stream of this process is archived.

So, there are quite a few things I have questions on. The first being, are there any beginner soldering guides on YouTube that I should watch before tackling this project? I have been watching videos on surface mounting for curcuit boards, but I guess I would like as much knowledge on this as possible. Do you have any soldering advice for this project?

What type of solder should I get? Everything online I have read and watched has pointed me in the direction of thin resin core solder. Is this correct, or do you have a different recommendation? I believe I should buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT4MLD1/re ... VRNTV38KA0

I was reading through the comments on the video I referenced above and saw someone recommending to use hot glue to keep the tactile switches in place more securely. After reading more online, it seems like people do use hot glue on circuit boards and wiring. I would like to attempt this aswell, but want to know if this is a good idea. Do you believe this is something I can do? Is this something I should do? Are there any other ways I can keep the tactile switches in place securely? Is there anything more I should know about when I comes to using hot glue on this project?

In the video, he drills into some of the face buttons in order to properly adjust the height of the buttons. I believe there has to be a more precise way of going about that process than that. I was thinking sanding/using a razor. Are there any specific products online I should look into getting to work with such a small area of plastic like each individual face button? What do you recommend for this step?

I tried to word everything as clearly as possible, so sorry if anything is redundant. If I didn't describe anything well, or you need further clarification on what I mean, let me know.

I guess overall, I would appreciate as much guidance as possible. Any and all advice is appreciated. I know I have more questions, and that I'll have more questions as I move forward on this project, but this is everything that comes to mind right now. Again, sorry if this was a longer post. If you've stuck through reading all of this, thank you. Please have a good day.