Mod for GameBoy Color (GBC), Gameboy Advance (GBA), Gameboy Advance SP (GBASP)

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
kain147

Mod for GameBoy Color (GBC), Gameboy Advance (GBA), Gameboy Advance SP (GBASP)

Post by kain147 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Does anyone know if we can adapt this mod for the GBC/GBA/GBASP? I feel like it would be doable for the GBC/GBA since they are both big enough. I have no way of checking since I don't have a Pi0 and am waiting for them to restock. Also, I have yet to open up my perfectly working GBA.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I hope this thread can be a place for people to share their thoughts/ideas on modding revisions of the Gameboy. :)

Retrohead95

Re: Mod for GameBoy Color (GBC), Gameboy Advance (GBA), Gameboy Advance SP (GBASP)

Post by Retrohead95 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:02 pm

kain147 wrote:Does anyone know if we can adapt this mod for the GBC/GBA/GBASP? I feel like it would be doable for the GBC/GBA since they are both big enough. I have no way of checking since I don't have a Pi0 and am waiting for them to restock. Also, I have yet to open up my perfectly working GBA.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I hope this thread can be a place for people to share their thoughts/ideas on modding revisions of the Gameboy. :)
It's possible but will be very difficult due to their small size. I suppose if you abandon the cartridge slot and use proper wire management and planning it can be done. I've seen someone fit a pi 1/2 in a Gameboy pocket but it was a smaller screen.

kain147

Re: Mod for GameBoy Color (GBC), Gameboy Advance (GBA), Gameboy Advance SP (GBASP)

Post by kain147 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Retrohead95 wrote:
kain147 wrote:Does anyone know if we can adapt this mod for the GBC/GBA/GBASP? I feel like it would be doable for the GBC/GBA since they are both big enough. I have no way of checking since I don't have a Pi0 and am waiting for them to restock. Also, I have yet to open up my perfectly working GBA.

It's possible but will be very difficult due to their small size. I suppose if you abandon the cartridge slot and use proper wire management and planning it can be done. I've seen someone fit a pi 1/2 in a Gameboy pocket but it was a smaller screen.
I was thinking specifically fitting a Pi Zero, instead of a Pi 1/2/3

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 11, 2016 8:13 pm

I am actually planning to try and make one out of the GBA, unfortunately the parts will take months to arrive... :cry:
The only problem encountered so far is the placement of the XY buttons, I'm not particularly sure what to do at this stage. :)

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:I am actually planning to try and make one out of the GBA, unfortunately the parts will take months to arrive... :cry:
The only problem encountered so far is the placement of the XY buttons, I'm not particularly sure what to do at this stage. :)
One idea is to cut off the ab/xy buttons out of a ds lite in a neat circle and cut a similarly sized circle in the gba, it would kinda ruin the look but it's a start, I also was stumped by where to put x and y, alternatively you could order a revo k101 shell http://www.k1gbasp.com/revo-k101-plus-c ... -p-86.html but that won't have the look of the gba

Max

Post by Max » Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 am

I'm planning to mod a GameBoy Color (I should get one during the week). The main problem for this mod is the screen size. It will be really hard (impossible ?) to fit the 3.5 screen in the GBC case. So if I can't find better, I'll go on a 2.5" screen, the one from adafruit. With the 2.5 screen there is a gap of 3mm with the current screen of the GBC. I think a screen of 2.8", or 3.0" should be better, but I can't find some (except with touchscreen but they are much higher).
Plus, I'll not use the Teensy LC to save a little bit more place.
I will keep as much as I can the original case, so I don't had any other button, but I don't think it's blocking.

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Thu May 12, 2016 7:37 am

Moving this to the Other Projects forum.

kain147

Post by kain147 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Since positioning the buttons for the GBA might be difficult, I was thinking about 3D printing a case that's identical. Not sure how much work that would require since I've never done it myself.

EDIT: Just found this videon the GBC using the Raspberry Pi 2. Should be possible with a Pi0 I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPA2dEGVCCQ

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm working on a GBC control PCB like the DMG, it should be done in a day or so (Hole alignment is spot on) but for anyone tackling this are you going to use the GBC Cart reader? If not I can omit the solder holes for it since this thing takes a fair amount of room inside the case.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm

General consensus on a gbc or pocket mod is to forget the card reader since the space is way more limited