DSi XL zero - Build Log

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Tinkerman92

DSi XL zero - Build Log

Post by Tinkerman92 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Howdy, first time posting but I figured I'd start this post at square one. Recently bought some parts and as they come in I guess this post will turn into more of a build log.

Raspberry Pi DSi XL
While it may not be a new concept I'm going to attempt to throw a Raspberry Pi Zero W into a Nintendo DSi Xl and I'll update here as I make progress.

Update 6/27/18:
Its been awhile since I updated the post while I have done plenty of video not a whole lot has been accomplished in videos until this evening. So that video will get posted later but for now here's the pics that you care about :D
PicsShow
Bottom half preview:

Hollowed out the shell to make room for goodies:

Screen fits!
Maybe a bezel though:

A peak under the hood:

Power madness:

Pi closeup:
Update 7/1/18:
Top half is assembled and working, might add 1 small change later but otherwise it just needs painted and can be closed (Yes it does close)
PicsShow
Also a lot of the wiring is done on the controller pcb's
I welcome any feedback or questions, also I intend to stream when I'm working on it over at the retropie handhelds facebook group.
Last edited by Tinkerman92 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tinkerman92

Update 6/13/18:

Post by Tinkerman92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

Nothing to call a project yet, but gotta start somewhere

DSi XL zero Build Log - Part 1Show
[youtube]https://youtu.be/y2ANEG8kqj8[/youtube]
DSi XL zero Build Log - Part 2Show
[youtube]https://youtu.be/T93ideVMB3E[/youtube]
Sorry for the sound issues in part 2, facebook kept detecting my music, won't use it in the next part.

VeteranGamer

Re: Update 6/13/18:

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Tinkerman92 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

Sorry for the sound issues in part 2, facebook kept detecting my music, won't use it in the next part.

the progress looks good so far....
nice work...

it might be a good idea to have a look at this, you may be able to implement some for a more lower profile.....

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3793

also some of the things your doing, may not be necessary....
Micro Controller for Controls, can be replaced with GPIO controls (this saves you a USB + Power requirement)

L2 + R2, if using the Pi Zero.... how many games will actually require these buttons (this saves vital space)

external USB port, isnt really needed if your using a Pi Zero W as everything needed can be done over network (saves space)

USB hub, if you ignore the Micro Controller and ext USB, theres no needed for a USB hub, you'll still Pi Zero usb port for use (saves space and power)

just some suggestion, i'm sure you've got it under control...

nice work, looking forward to the progress

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm
Tinkerman92 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

the progress looks good so far....
nice work...

it might be a good idea to have a look at this, you may be able to implement some for a more lower profile.....

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3793

also some of the things your doing, may not be necessary....
Micro Controller for Controls, can be replaced with GPIO controls (this saves you a USB + Power requirement)

L2 + R2, if using the Pi Zero.... how many games will actually require these buttons (this saves vital space)

external USB port, isnt really needed if your using a Pi Zero W as everything needed can be done over network (saves space)

USB hub, if you ignore the Micro Controller and ext USB, theres no needed for a USB hub, you'll still Pi Zero usb port for use (saves space and power)

just some suggestion, i'm sure you've got it under control...

nice work, looking forward to the progress

I like the screen driver mod I may remove the caps in favor of space.

The nano is for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is to have a dedicated microcontroller to listen for button events rather than share CPU power probably doesnt make a difference but I'm weird like that. Reason 2 is I intend to also incorporate 2 psp analog controller and the pi doesnt have analog gpio

The l2 and r2 I'm not gonna lie it's mainly for twisted metal :lol:

I had a huge facepalm moment after streaming last night though. The charger I am waiting on is just that, a charger. When I ordered I accidentally ordered one with a charger only not a charger buck/boost board :cry: so now I either have to use another boost/buck with the charger, or order another charge/boost/buck. I do have a powerboost 1000c but I think I fried it on another project, could always test it.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Tinkerman92 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm
I like the screen driver mod I may remove the caps in favor of space.

The nano is for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is to have a dedicated microcontroller to listen for button events rather than share CPU power probably doesnt make a difference but I'm weird like that. Reason 2 is I intend to also incorporate 2 psp analog controller and the pi doesnt have analog gpio

The l2 and r2 I'm not gonna lie it's mainly for twisted metal :lol:

I had a huge facepalm moment after streaming last night though. The charger I am waiting on is just that, a charger. When I ordered I accidentally ordered one with a charger only not a charger buck/boost board :cry: so now I either have to use another boost/buck with the charger, or order another charge/boost/buck. I do have a powerboost 1000c but I think I fried it on another project, could always test it.

ok....

i would highly recommend running whichever games you feel require those functions (Dual analog sticks, L2 & R2) on the pi zero for some time and see if they actually run well....

from my experience.....
(and i could be wrong on this, based on the games I've tested)
the PSX (PS1) doesnt run or runs really (really) poorly on the Pi Zero....

i still feel your adding items that aren't really needed, and might just over complicate the build (IMHO)....

but its your build, build it however you see fit, and good luck with whichever route you take......

Tinkerman92

Re: DSi XL zero - Build Log

Post by Tinkerman92 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 am

Update 6/27/18:
Its been awhile since I updated the post while I have done plenty of video not a whole lot has been accomplished in videos until this evening. So that video will get posted later but for now here's the pics that you care about :D
PicsShow
Bottom half preview:

Hollowed out the shell to make room for goodies:

Screen fits!
Maybe a bezel though:

A peak under the hood:

Power madness:

Pi closeup:

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 am

Update 7/1/18:
Top half is assembled and working, might add 1 small change later but otherwise it just needs painted and can be closed (Yes it does close)
PicsShow

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:58 am

Tinkerman92 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 am
Update 7/1/18:
PicsShow

an updates or progress on this build......

Tinkerman92

Post by Tinkerman92 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:03 am

Sorry for the long overdue update, haven't logged into sudo in awhile and went toward semi streaming.

I've got some pics on my PC that I'll post later when I get home. However @VeteranGamer was wondering if you could give me a hand on another post you contributed to. Check the Wii U raspberry pi post

rouni

Post by rouni » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:29 pm

I am attempting my first build and I am using a DSi XL. How did you find the output pins for the controller buttons? I can only find the output pins for the DS Lite online. Is there any board solution for the controllers that will work with a DSi XL?