Hyperpixel Pi3 Game Boy DMG

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Hipcat

Hyperpixel Pi3 Game Boy DMG

Post by Hipcat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm new to sudomod and was told you guys might like my current project. I'm estimating about 2 weeks left to completion of my Pi3 Game Boy DMG. I know that's not too exciting, but I have a few unique features that should warrant the look-at-me. Here is a post about fitting the hyperpixel screen https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... h=1ebe0a58 .
Last edited by Hipcat on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

VeteranGamer

Re: Hyperpixel Pi3 Game Boy DMG

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 am

Hipcat wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm
I'm new to sudomod and was told you guys might like my current project. I'm estimating about 2 weeks left to completion of my Pi3 Gane Boy DMG. I know that's not too exciting, but I have a few unique features that should warrant the look-at-me. Here is a post about fitting the hyperpixel screen https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... h=1ebe0a58 .

the hyperpixel screen is a nice screen, but is a awkward fit for the DMG....
but i see you've made some decent progress, looking forward to the end results (good luck)

one suggestion i would make is to source a screen surround that would complement the screen and the build (its a pricey screen)
you may be able to get one made from this guy

https://www.bluishsquirrel.co.uk/

he makes custom screen surrounds and may/should be able to provide you with one that makes your build look great....
(as the one you have now is going to leave gaps at the top and the bottom... not a good look)

EVE-TECH

Post by EVE-TECH » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 am

It’s a great little screen I’ve built two for my kids never run into heat problems everything is powered by the 1000c with a 6000mah battery that’s about 2 hours of play originally wanted to used a dmg case but some serious mods was required like you have done. So I designed a custom 3D print made it lot easier on me. Your trimmings looks really good
Attachments
79CEBA0A-5243-4A7B-BEA5-52E11BF49EE3.jpeg
79CEBA0A-5243-4A7B-BEA5-52E11BF49EE3.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 8660 times
3C010B2B-FD8B-4B4E-A4EB-546A8B31E00F.jpeg
3C010B2B-FD8B-4B4E-A4EB-546A8B31E00F.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 8660 times

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 am

the hyperpixel screen is a nice screen, but is a awkward fit for the DMG....
but i see you've made some decent progress, looking forward to the end results (good luck)

one suggestion i would make is to source a screen surround that would complement the screen and the build (its a pricey screen)
you may be able to get one made from this guy

https://www.bluishsquirrel.co.uk/

he makes custom screen surrounds and may/should be able to provide you with one that makes your build look great....
(as the one you have now is going to leave gaps at the top and the bottom... not a good look)
Oh yes for sure. I have a glass screen with a 3mm bezel https://imgur.com/a/sATzhtn . I have forced a 4:3 aspect ratio and centered the picture. One of the last steps in my build will be to extend the 3mm bezel with acrylic paint, on the inside, to fit the overscanned 4:3 portion of the screen.

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 am

EVE-TECH wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:18 am
It’s a great little screen I’ve built two for my kids never run into heat problems everything is powered by the 1000c with a 6000mah battery that’s about 2 hours of play originally wanted to used a dmg case but some serious mods was required like you have done. So I designed a custom 3D print made it lot easier on me. Your trimmings looks really good
That looks so clean. Mine is a bit messier. I made my controller, but ordered a tinker board (the simple buttons one only) yesterday to get the better responsiveness. I have a Pi3 in mine and a 10,000mah LiPo (I think its actually 8,000 after opening it up). My last major issue to figure out is the audio. I have a few amps to mess with, but my initial tests have a lot of interference. I guess it’s a common issue.

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Here is the current status. I have to add the audio (the wires are in place if I can manage to use the old headphone points). I will place the speaker in the top right facing out of the rear screw hole. I have added a capacitive touch sensor so you. Can touch the top right of the case to toggle on/off the 4 LED battery capacity indicator. I made the controls using copper tape, and I’m not perfectly happy with them. I have ordered a tinker boy board that will sort that out. I 3D printed the start and select buttons with PETG filament, and used 4 of them also for the shoulder buttons located at the back bottom of the case. I added the female USB at the bottom in place of the headphones out to be used as a power bank output up to 4a via PowerBoost basic. The battery is an advertised 10k mah LiPo, but I think it is just 2 4K cells for 8k mah total. It is still pretty beefy and usable as both the unit power and a power bank. I need to free up 1-2mm of space to be able to close more comfortably. I have the fan running on 3.3v. It’s quiet, without vibration, and you can barely feel the exhaust via the right middle screw hole. If your skin is dry you can barely feel it. If it is wet you can feel it cooling. I’ve been testing it for a couple hours at a time and there is 0 heat indication. I even open it at the end of the tests and touch the heat sink and it is only mildly warm to the touch. I also have the HDMI out on the left side, a USB in to the Pi3 on the right side, and will add the audio potentiometer once I figure that out. I also need to figure out the best way to close the case. I had planned on using strong magnets, but am leaning away from that. I will be using a glass screen with the ‘Dot matrix with stereo sound’ bezel, and a ‘The Legend of Zelda’ cartridge decal. I think that about sums up the state of it now. Beyond the couple solutions I still need to work out I just have to do some general house cleaning to pretty things up.
Attachments
IMG_7716.jpeg
IMG_7716.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 8629 times
IMG_7715.jpeg
IMG_7715.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 8629 times
IMG_7500.jpeg
IMG_7500.jpeg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
IMG_7691.jpeg
IMG_7691.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 8629 times

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm

I’m still working on things. I have less time lately due to work. I’ve removed the capacitive touch sensor for the battery indicator lights due to battery drain. I’ll be using a tact switch instead. The TinkerBOY controls board arrived. I fitted it today. I solved the space issue today as well. I repositioned the fan, shaved down the speaker housing, and redid the main screen wiring to find the extra space needed to close the 2 case halves comfortably. I am planning to wire up the control board completely tomorrow or the next day. I am close to jumping on the audio. I expect to have a lot of difficulty there with ground loop problems, but I think there are a few different roads I can take. Not 100% sure yet about that part.

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 pm

I wired up the controls today. Everything works, but I’m still not happy with the sensitivity of some of the buttons. So it turns out my DIY controls board probably was fine, and the issue with the imperfect button sensitivity it probably the space between where the silicon pads are. Early on in the case modification stage I lowered the posts and things for that board to save a mm or 2. I will try shaving off the difference from the pads themselves to make the buttons perfect. If that doesn’t work I’ll just increase the distance back to normal; I think I have the room after all. I ordered an amp from Adafruit today after a friendly redditor suggested it. That, paired with the USB audio card I have, should solve the upcoming audio addition as it shouldn’t require an additional filter. I’m waiting to install the tact switch for the battery voltage indicator until after the audio is in in place in order to give space preference to those components because the tact switch has a few comfortable possible locations. I will be making it blend in as much as I can. It will probably be attached to a plastic plug made of original case plastic that sits flush with the exterior. So it will just look like a round outline on the top or side of the case you press in to activate the indicator. Something like that.
Attachments
3967E43F-EADB-466F-A522-624969C52EBA.jpeg
3967E43F-EADB-466F-A522-624969C52EBA.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 8194 times

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm

I was coerced into picking up the project again :) https://youtu.be/B6dOvhYCETY

Hipcat

Post by Hipcat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 pm

The fixing video is up https://youtu.be/5Erbh4Orc04