Project idea for an old beat-up AGS-001 GBA SP

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Twinleaf

Project idea for an old beat-up AGS-001 GBA SP

Post by Twinleaf » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

So I was looking around for things I might be able to do as a first real project and I was browsing reddit and came across a dude who make a Retro-Pie GBA SP, and it got me thinking. He didn't show what he did to the inside, but what I did see was that the Pi Zero he was using looked like it was just hanging out of the game cart slot. I thought I could take it one step further and make a custom enclosure from an old DMG-style game cartridge shell for the Pi Zero I ordered and wire it up like that.

All I'm really asking is do you think I'm in over my head with this idea, or would it be do-able? (Especially for someone who has only basic experience in dealing with hardware modding...)

Also is there anyone out there who makes custom PCBs for the SP or original GBA? I'm aware of FreePlayTech and a few others, but not much else in that vein. I have zero experience working with custom PCB work, so I honestly wouldn't know where to look for that.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings!

VeteranGamer

Re: Project idea for an old beat-up AGS-001 GBA SP

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Twinleaf wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm
So I was looking around for things I might be able to do as a first real project and I was browsing reddit and came across a dude who make a Retro-Pie GBA SP, and it got me thinking. He didn't show what he did to the inside, but what I did see was that the Pi Zero he was using looked like it was just hanging out of the game cart slot. I thought I could take it one step further and make a custom enclosure from an old DMG-style game cartridge shell for the Pi Zero I ordered and wire it up like that.

All I'm really asking is do you think I'm in over my head with this idea, or would it be do-able? (Especially for someone who has only basic experience in dealing with hardware modding...)

Also is there anyone out there who makes custom PCBs for the SP or original GBA? I'm aware of FreePlayTech and a few others, but not much else in that vein. I have zero experience working with custom PCB work, so I honestly wouldn't know where to look for that.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings!

this will be useful....

https://github.com/Gameboypi/SPW

its by ABH (sudomod member)

this is not a complete beginners project....
but it is a DIY project, that can be easily completed at home with just the basics....
(soldering iron, basic soldering skills, patients and a bit of common sense)

Insane_128

Re: Project idea for an old beat-up AGS-001 GBA SP

Post by Insane_128 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Put it in a TI-83 or TI-84 shell.